Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Re: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

I mixed fresh Kodak Quick Fix per instructions. Same for the Hardner then combined them.

It worked fine for me, but I cannot tolerate it. ymmv

What are you using?

Kodak Rapid Hardening Fixer mixes 9:1 fixer to hardener.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

I am using Legacy Pro Rapid Fixer Hardener Part B that I had from a past purchase. The ingredients are Aluminum Sulphate and Sulfuric Acid. This product mimics Kodak's Rapid Hardening Fixer so it would mix the same.

In my case I am using hypo I have mixed up myself and was just wanting to add some hardener. I did go ahead and add in 50ml though I probably should have added in the entire 100ml.

The two plates are drying and they look pretty good. I'll try to scan them tomorrow. There is a tiny bit of frilling on the same edge of each plate but nothing critical. There is a small area with some white in one corner of one of the plates like it didn't completely develop or clear, not sure which. I'm pretty sure it will show in the scan but I'm really not too concerned with it.

I am very happy with how things turned out tonight, it actually looks as if I knew what I was doing (which of course I did because all of you fine folks led the way on this.)

It is way past time for some dinner (my stomach is pretty convinced that my throat has been cut) so I will sign off for now. Hopefully I can show something tomorrow.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Just a note for my post #187.

I used Rodinal 1/25.

Water stop with 2 pinches of Alum which dissolved quickly in 20 ml distilled. I can feel the alum in the water. I forgot how often as a child my mother used Alum as astringent for Cold Sores on all the family. Which gives me a quick physical memory reference. Since age 12 I have never needed the treatment again. We had chunks of Alum.

My fix was TF5. I see no frilling at all, only damage caused by my rough touch. Which ripped off emulsion. That's 4 times I touched the emulsion while wet, in 4 baths.

I think powered grocery store Alum works. I've not yet convinced the water stop is the tray to use it in.

I will be making a dipper.

I also ruined a plate yesterday with my fingers when I grasped it lightly between my thumb and forefinger. Now I try to stay on the edge only. I started playing with that plate and made an abstract image that I posted in the "Trees" thread.

Speaking of trees, I shot this today to test out the plates with landscape images:

Developed it in Neutol. Print developer seems to work fine. Underexposure is my fault, but I like the low-key look here. The emulsion/coating is almost too good!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Very nice, Corran! Yes, stick to the edges when handling.

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post

. There is a small area with some white in one corner of one of the plates like it didn't completely develop or clear, not sure which. I'm pretty sure it will show in the scan but I'm really not too concerned with it.

That's unfixed emulsion, often on the back of the glass (though not always). If that's true then you can remove by wiping the back down with mild bleach cleaner or clorox cleaning wipes. You should clean the back regardless since many will have overspill and that shows up in scans and prints.

Just double check which side you're cleaning before you start cleaning off the surface (another hard earned lesson)

This thread is getting broad with lots of image posting - with dozens more on the way, no doubt!

Would it be a better idea to start a new thread in the images section - something like " Post your results with NOS and new Dry Plates" with abbreviated technical data?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    This thread is getting broad with lots of image posting - with dozens more on the way, no doubt!

Would it be a better idea to start a new thread in the images section - something like " Post your results with NOS and new Dry Plates" with abbreviated technical data?
    I already suggested that, but how do we include ALL sizes? We are people divided by Format 4X5 above and below.

I'll start a thread. I'm sure Oren will be accommodating, since all the plates I've sold (even smaller than 4x5) would have been considered large format... i.e. quarter plate, 9x12, even sixth plate are larger than medium format. 4x5 is the lower cutoff in modern days simply because many of those sizes aren't readily available (if at all) in sheet film.

Size should be specified along with whatever other technical details you want to add.

Here is a link:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...01#post1427101

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Very nice, Corran! Yes, stick to the edges when handling.

That's unfixed emulsion, often on the back of the glass (though not always). If that's true then you can remove by wiping the back down with mild bleach cleaner or clorox cleaning wipes. You should clean the back regardless since many will have overspill and that shows up in scans and prints.

Just double check which side you're cleaning before you start cleaning off the surface (another hard earned lesson)
    Or just scrape it off with a razor blade scraper, which is what I usually do. Or I use my thumbnail on the back of the developed plate just after washing, if I'm in the mood.

Robert