Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 7x17 lenses?

Re: 7x17 lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann
    Peter, I don't believe the Trigor design goes back quite that far. The link provided by Steve Hamley references a Goerz brochure dated May, 1968 "The new Goerz Blue Dot Wide Field 14" f:11...". Also, to be made in the 1950's would require a serial number in the very high 79x xxx range. I have never seen a Trigor with such a low serial number (granted, the sample size of what I have seen is very small). What is teh serial number of your 12" Trigor? Does it have a blue dot?

Kerry
    Kerry,

My lenses are labeled as follows:

Goerz Optical Co. Inc. Trigor 12 IN. F:6.8 No. 824xxx (No Blue Dot)
    (Matching serial no. on rear element)

Goerz Optical Co. Inc. Blue Dot W.A. Process 14 IN. F:11 No. 831xxx
    (Matching serial no. on rear element)

I did some additional checking and you are correct that the Trigor is a 1960's product. The following is a link to a 1959 pricelist that did not mention the lens. I stand corrected.

http://yandr.50megs.com/gz/artar1/artar1.htm

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for sharing the data on your lenses. Wow, two Trigors. You're a lucky guy. Interesting that the 12" is an f6.8 lens rather than an f11 like the other Trigors (including the 12" listed in the 1967 B&J catalog). While not conclusive, it's another clue that the Trigor may be modified Dagor design.

I don't have much in the way of Goerz literature, but I'll dig through what I have. I have a couple brochures from the early 1960s. I don't recall any mention of the Trigor, but I'll double check. In addition to the serial numbers, the company name engraved on the lens is also a hint as to when they were made. Sometime between 1960 and 1964 (I'll see if I can track down a more exact date), the company name was changed from C.P. Goerz American Optical Company to Goerz Optical Company, Inc. Based on the limited Goerz serial number data available, it looks like your Trigors were made in the 1966 - 1969 time frame.

Kerry

Sometime between 1960 and 1964 (I'll see if I can track down a more exact date), the company name was changed from C.P. Goerz American Optical Company to Goerz Optical Company, Inc.
    A couple online sources claim the name change occurred in 1964. However, another source cites a brochure from October 1963 labeled Goerz Optical Company, Inc.

Kerry

wfwhitaker

Two Trigors = a Sexgor.

Have fun....

Peter,

Thanks for sharing the data on your lenses. Wow, two Trigors. You're a lucky guy. Interesting that the 12" is an f6.8 lens rather than an f11 like the other Trigors (including the 12" listed in the 1967 B&J catalog). While not conclusive, it's another clue that the Trigor may be modified Dagor design.

Kerry
    I can not provide any tangible proof for my thoughts, but for years, say from the early 1980s, there has never been any question in my mind but that the Trigor was a Dagor design modified for the specific requirments of color reproduction for three-color separations. Perhaps I picked this up from one of the books on color separation, or perhaps from one of the old (old then, dead now) color carbro workers that I exchanged information with at the time.

But for truth, I looked carefully and have absolutely nothing in my files about the design.

Sandy

Peter,

Thanks for the link:

http://yandr.50megs.com/gz/artar1/artar1.htm

To put it in perspective, you could buy a new 1959 Ford 500 for $59.00 a month, that's 2 year's worth of car payments for the lens and 1 year's worth for the prism. Damn. Wonder if they threw in a lens board?

Just a thought.

At the Lens & Repro website, they have pictures of a 12X20 Star camera with two lenghts of extended lensboards (3" & 6"). I have a 19" Artar and recently purchased a 7X17 Korona. The bellows/rail extension is not sufficient for the Artar; and I'm wondering about feasibility of creating the lensboard extension.

I did just purchase a 265mm Ilex Wide Angle Kenro Process Lens; but have not found any info other than the seller's ad. I'm not doubting the seller, but am interested in more info on this lens.
    Last edited by Doug Howk; 18-Sep-2006 at 17:31.

Will a B&L-Zeiss Protar Series IV 8x10 cover 7x17 at f45? From the B&L catelog, it seems the 8x10 Series IV protar is 195mm focal length, and a Series IV covers 100 degrees at f45, so if the math is correct, the 8x10 Series IV's image circle is 465mm, just one mm short of 466mm image circle of 7X17? Anyone has any experience with the 8x10 series IV Protar?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wenbiao Liang
    Will a B&L-Zeiss Protar Series IV 8x10 cover 7x17 at f45? From the B&L catelog, it seems the 8x10 Series IV protar is 195mm focal length, and a Series IV covers 100 degrees at f45, so if the math is correct, the 8x10 Series IV's image circle is 465mm, just one mm short of 466mm image circle of 7X17? Anyone has any experience with the 8x10 series IV Protar?

Thanks!
    Congratulations. You did your homework. My experience is that both the 8X10 B&L and Zeiss Protar 183mm cover 11X14, but just miss the corners on 7X17 at f/45. But it is a great lens, with super wide coverage for both 11X14 and 7X17, and in a super small package. The lens itself, including mount, is about the size of a US quarter, and it goes into a small Copal #1.

Ufortunately, they don't make them like this any more. Bigger and better, yes, but smaller and better, no.

Sandy King

Sorry Sandy, I meant the Series IV, not the wider Series V.

This was a impulse buy from eBay, the seller's picture was too small, and I could not determine if it was a V or a IV, but I bought it anyway, hoping it was a V, but after the lens arrived I found out it is a Series IV after all.

Will a Series IV 8x10 cover 7x17?

Thanks!