Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help With Cokin Filters...Or Filters In General

Re: Help With Cokin Filters...Or Filters In General

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, I recommend getting any filter that you will be using a LOT in ROUND GLASS. What size you get is up to your lenses and "Cokin" system.

As to multiple graded filters use, all you need to do is look at the ground glass to know where to position them and if they are the correct strengths for the scene.

It's not as complicated as you seem to think.
    +1

The Cokin filter system is nice but a bit finicky. I used a polarizer a lot so I had it in a round glass filter. On the other hand I feel that graduated ND filters are about useless in a round filter because you can't adjust them up and down without moving the camera lens which of course changes your composition.

Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead and purchased the following:

1. Cokin Z-Pro Holder
    2. Z-Pro 77mm Adapter Ring
    3. Z-Pro 67mm Adapter Ring
    4. B+W 77-67mm Step Down Ring
    5. Formatt Hitech 4x4 Orange 1 Filter
    6. Cokin Z-Pro 4x6 001 Yellow Filter
    7. Formatt Hitech 4x5 ND 1.2 Grad Filter
    8. Schneider 4x4 81-1 Warming Filter
    9. Formatt Hitech Firecrest 77mm Circular Polarizer

Only other thing I will look for is a ND 0.6 Grad Filter. I was able to snag all filters for $40 or less, except for the polarizer and warming filter. ~60 each. Thanks again for everything.

PS: Does the edge of a rectangle/square filter affect the image? Say I want to slide the warming filter (for example) to where it only covered half the image, thus exposing the edge of the filter in the middle of the frame.

I've never tried that but I wouldn't advise it. Even if you couldn't see a noticeable difference between the filtered and non filtered part, light will be bouncing off the filter edge and will probably degrade your image.

I've read on here that photographers sometimes use old lenses that have chips or cracks. Sometimes degradation shows up and sometimes it doesn't due to light bouncing around the chipped or cracked area. It varies depending upon the light. Of course with some subjects it is really noticeable and others not so much. It is recommended to paint the chip or crack with black india ink to help prevent this reflection.