You may recall me recently grumbling about the condition of b&w film ordered from B&H.

B&H is my main supplier. I enjoy their low prices and fast service. An uncomplicated order is usually shipped the same day and delivered by UPS here in New England overnight.

But the last time I ordered multiple boxes of 4x5 Tri-X sheet film I received an assortment of expiration dates, one year apart.

Their 35mm offerings are almost always shipped without packaging. Obviously plucked from a 50-roll bulk box.

And then the whole order is packed up in a flimsy corrugated carton which always arrives squashed, if not torn open.

So lately I have decided to pay a little more, wait a little longer and deal with Calumet in Chicago. All the same emulsion, factory-fresh and beefy shipping boxes.

But to my surprise (and the main point of this post) is that on many of the films I use the price is actually a buck or two lower than B&H. How about that?

Just thought some of you fellow thrifty shoppers may have missed that little tidbit.