Recently purchased a betterscanning holder for the V850. This would be my first experience with a continuous height variability holder. In attempts to find the " Sweet Spot " for the scanner I've noticed that to my eye it becomes difficult to tell which scan is sharper as height is dialed in. None of this will probably make the least bit of difference visually but I was still intrigued.

Focal blades analyze command looks at the image and determines what it thinks is appropriate sharpness ( if I'm not mistaken ). So wouldn't the sharpest scan be the scan which focal blade applies the least amount of sharpness to?

To my eye I've scanned with zero turns and looked at focal blades values for sharpen under the manual tab. The value is always higher because the image is obviously more blurred. As I dial in the height the values focal blade reports become smaller. When the differences become imperceptible to the eye focal blade still reports small, repeatable and logical values.

Is this credible? It appears to 100% infallible when working with large differences in height and that the eye can see easily.

I'm not sure if this is old news as I wasn't sure how to search for it.