Hey everyone!

I'm a longtime lurker, and I have finally decided to sign up. I just hope it's okay that only have a 35mm and a medium format camera.

So, I recently came across two Scitex Eversmart scanners (not Pro or any of the other versions), and I could get both with an Apple Macintosh G3, three different instruction manuals, and 3 different CDs. According to the seller at least one of the scanners works, but in theory the other one should be functional as well. The total price would be around $110. While this sounds like a great deal, turns out the calibration slide is missing. I did a bit of research and it seems like CPS is the only place that still sells them here in Europe. However, they charge $350 (without shipping) for one. In a later email the seller told me that the G3 runs two different copies of the same software, one for each scanner. According to him one of the scanners is calibrated, while the other one isn't. The software for the one that isn't calibrated throws out an error messages about the lamp parameters not being correct (whatever that means). Interestingly enough, the scanner that apparently isn't calibrated makes better scans than the one that is.

So yeah, as you can probably tell by now, it is a very messy situation (if that's what you want to call it).

My main question is if I should go for the scanners? If the scanners are worth it, I could theoretically bite the bullet and go for the $350 calibration slide. Although, how important are those? Would a cheaper scanner like an Epson be a better option?

I hope this isn't too confusing.

With best regards,
The Austrian Dude