Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I CLA my Schneider Kreuzach 210?

Should I CLA my Schneider Kreuzach 210?

I own a Schneider- Kreuznach 210 f5.6 convertable lens (# 10426609) which I plan only to use at its normal focal lenght. It appears to be in excellent condition and the shutter sounds good. Considering that a CLA from SK Grimes is at least $100.00 is it worth having done for this lens? How much is a lens like this worth today?

If it's not broken, why pay to fix it?

What Diane said.

If you have a shutter as old as the lens it is long overdue for a proper CLA.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

What Bob said.
    When you take your car in for an oil change and lube, do you consider it broken? Nope, its just routine maintenance. Lenses need the same thing.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Sure it's overdue for CLA. All shutters shouldd have that done every year or two. It keeps the repair people able to make the payments on their boats! Spend the money on a Calumet shutter tester - then you will know the speeds on all your shutters. The fast speeds are always (almost) way slow, but who cares? If you have a couple of consistent slower speed i.e. 1", 1/2" maybe 1/8" that should be plenty for most stuff.

Why not use it first? Like the others say, 'If it ain't broken..." OTOH, if you're planning on taking it for a once in a lifetime hike in the Andes...

For a cla I've had very, very good service from Carol Miller at Floutot's Camera Repair in Whittier---great alternative especially if you're on the West Coast!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hugh, I have never regretted doing a CLA. You might try some other source for this operation though. SK does very good work but sometimes you don't need or a lens doesn't warrent that kind of attention. I use a local guy who does very nice work for $65 and he is fast.

By the way, that lens is a honey, has its own look. I think you'll like it even better after it is cleaned up.

Cheers,

I have a 70+ year old compur shutter that is accurate at all speeds except 1/500. So why pay to get it cla'd if it tests out as accurate?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

The Calumet shutter tester costs $110. See if John's repairman does mail order.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans