Lately have seen quite a few 8x10 Deardorffs on the market FS for substantial prices and they seem to be selling. Was wondering what the "mystique" was or is for an 8x10 Deardorff?

Back in the 1980s I was the second owner of an 8x10 Deardorff. It was offered to me in mint condition for a very reasonable price that I couldn't refuse, so I bought it. Used it for a couple of years and liked it but did not fall in love with it.

Eventually sold it (being in mint minus condition, got a premium price for it) and bought an 8x10 Sinar Norma system which I much more enjoyed using. Did use an 8x10 Sinar P in work for many years but for my personal work preferred the classical Norma.

For location work (hiking in the woods of New England) the 8x10 Norma was not exactly the optimum camera to carry around, so purchased an 8x10 Chamonix, an f/64 backpack and could't be happier.

As for the Dearforff, I am perplex on the attributes of an 8x10 Deardorff. To me the Chamonix 8x10 is so far easier to use. Chamonix's weight may be less, but not a factor for me. I even prefer the locking knobs on the Chamonix.

So why do so many photographers idolize and prize their 8x10 Deardorffs?

thanks in advance