My first 8x10 camera was acquired in 1995. With it I bought a Ries A-100 with the A250 head and never looked back. 22 years later I object to the weight of the Ries. But then, I object to the weight of the 8x10, too. But once the camera is assembled on the Ries, it is a pleasure to use. Thing is, for 8x10 I use a Sinar Norma and support it not with a Ries, but with a Gitzo 1548 Mk2 with the Sinar Pan/Tilt head. For that camera the Gitzo is completely adequate and is far easier to transport. The only downside is that the leg extension locks are the twist-lock collars which, if over-tightened, can be a real pain to loosen and may be the ones Randy referred to above. I try to remember to tighten only as much as necessary. (It doesn't take a lot.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G1548 Mk2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	170920

My current Ries is an old model "A", precursor to the A-100, made by Paul Ries when the company was in Hollywood. I have a thing for vintage and this one suits me fine in spite of the lack of more modern refinements such as the "tri-lock mechanism" to secure the leg angle. This tripod replaced my earlier A-100 and is now the foundation for my 12x20 and 14x17 cameras with occasional duty supporting an Ansco 8x10. The head is the old Photoplane head. Again not as refined as the current line of heads, but quite sufficient for my needs including ULF.

Name:	PaulRies.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	170921 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photoplane.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	170922

Ron Wisner back in the day sold the Ries heads with a covering of bellows leather. I borrowed that idea and found some thin leather with which to cover the top of the Photoplane head. It provides a layer of protection between the head and whatever is attached to it. And it provides a friction surface against which to secure the camera to help prevent twisting or "unintended panning".

My 12x20 is a modified Folmer & Schwing. Modifications include converting the back to accept Korona-style film holders so I can use S&S holders. Also the original ground glass springs were replace with modern stainless steel springs purchased from Dick Phillips. The brass knobs indicate that this is an earlier version camera (according to piercevaubel.com), probably made c.1915 or shortly thereafter. So still keeping with the vintage thing.

I made a platform which I've written up previously in these pages. This time, though, I thought I'd add some photos in case anyone might like to copy the idea. It's very specific to the camera. The only camera for which I've made a platform is the 12x20 as that seems to be the one which best benefits from it.

The platform itself is made from 3/4" plywood. There are stiles that run the length of the board, left and right. The width between the stiles is chosen to match exactly the width of the base of the 12x20. That way the camera won't twist on the platform (unintended panning).

Name:	platformtop.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	170923

(continued...)