Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon fiber Tripods

Mike Lewis

Carbon fiber Tripods

I have the Gitzo 1228 which I use with a Linhof Technika V. I can fit the tripod inside a Kelty Redwing 3100 backpack along with the camera, three extra lenses, a box of Quickloads, a Quickload film holder, and other stuff. This works pretty well for me. However, I agree that with the Deardorff you might want to try a heavier tripod: I've noticed that the Gitzo/Technika combination seems a bit top-heavy when the camera's bellows is extended for use with my 300mm lens.
    Mike Lewis
    mikelewisimages.com

Carbon fiber Tripods

Feisol (http://www.feisol.com/english/enconnect-n.htm) sells a line of tripods that are similar to the 1227/1228. You can try looking there too. No connection with them other than as a satisfied customer.

Compared to the Gitzo, the center column can be shortened to almost nothing, while still keeping the hook.

The only weakness I see is the centre locking column, which is not like the new Gitzo's.

I use Mine with an A/S B1 ball head and a Pentax 67/200mm lens and an Arca Swiss B1/240mm. seems to be stable for me, in less windy conditions.

Carbon fiber Tripods

Thank you all for your excellent advice. You certainly helped me focus (no pun intended) on why I need the tripod. I started looking at the Gitzo 2227 and 2228 because I thought I could use it for all types of photography, including 4X5 and 5X7. But they come at a compromise and probably aren't as sturdy as I would like. I never considered the series 3 CF tripods as I thought they would be too large and heavy. But I seem to be leaning toward the Gitzo 1325 with no column which weighes only slightly more than the Gitzo 2227. In an ideal world I would probably like to have both the 2227 and the 1325 at home to choose from when I go out shooting but my wife and family will probably not approve that decision in my lifetime. Thanks again for your time in helping me arrive at a good decision.

Carbon fiber Tripods

Barry: I use the 1325 with no center column for 4X5 through 8X10. It is expensive but the quality and performance are impressive. I am 6' 4" and if I fully extend the legs on level ground the ground glass will be a little too high for me. If you go without the center column you may never again give it a thought. I have made it a habit of pulling the last section of leg out, then putting it back about the width of my hand which gets it at eye level. For a head I tried the accratech ball head (wt=1 lb) and even though I hated ballheads in general I would never switch back to anything else after trying this combination. I hated them mostly because they never really seemed to hold. This one does. The head is more than capable enough for a DD Special, and I've used it with a Canham JMC with some heavy lenses and it has handled those with no issues. Hiking with the cameras in a pack and the 1325 and ballhead in the hand is comfortable. I have no experience with the other models you mention.

Carbon fiber Tripods

Thanks to everyones input I finally took a leap of faith and ordered a Gitzo 1325. It is fantastic! After using it a few days I wondered how I ever got along without it. I also ordered a Arca Swiss ball head with QR and again I wonder how I ever got along without it! I also ordered camera plates from Really Right Stuff--great company and even better product!!! Now to help pay for all this I will sell my Manfrotto 055, Gitzo Studex, Tiltall, Giotto head, Gitzo head..I think you get the picture. This is now my main tripod and head. I will keep my smaller Gitzo for smaller cameras.
    Thanks again for everybodys opinions. It really pays to consult the experts!