Thread: CLS 301 Restoration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CLS 301 Restoration

Hi all. I recently acquired a Durst L184 base with CLS301 head and am trying to get it to working order. Unfortunately, the bulbs that came with the machine did neither have the right sockets nor the right operating voltage to work in the machine. A bit of research showed that the CLS301 model takes 2x ELH 300W/120V bulbs. I ordered some and sure enough they fit into the sockets.

When I installed them everything seemed to work fine for a moment and then one of the bulbs went dead. I opened up the machine and looked at the circuits inside - basically just two bulbs in parallel - but when I measured across the contacts at the sockets they showed a steady 160V (which probably explains the destruction of the 120V bulbs).

The only other component in the circuit is a little black cylinder on the neutral wire (see attached picture, the print on the side says R87-154).

I was wondering if anyone here knows about this type of enlarger head and if the wrong voltage is more likely to be an issue with the power supply or with the (potentially more easily replaceble) black cylinder.

Thanks for your help.

Henning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2489.jpg