Thread: RF backs

RF backs

Hello,
    this is my first question over here. I'm looking for RF back info for 4x5 camera. Can anybody tell me which RF backs work for which camera? And how to know it. I have a chance to buy a Linhof Super Rolex back and a ShenHao camera but do not know if the back is the right one.

RF backs

As long as the Super Rollex back is for 4x5" and not for the Linhof 6x9cm cameras, it should work, and it's an excellent back. The Shen Hao has a Graflok-type back with a removable groundglass and slides to hold the RFH in place, so you can use just about any RFH out there--either one that uses the Graflok slides or one that slips under the groundglass.

RF backs

If you're interested in truly panoramic shots the 6x17 DAYI and Shen Hao backs are relatively cheap (about $600) and easy to use. I have the DAYI back and love it; Paul Owen has posted an informative review of the Shen Hao back on this site and speaks highly of it as well. They will both fit on the back of the Shen Hao camera.

RF backs

I have a question regarding the Roll Back and the Shen-Hao. From what I’ve read it seems that one must remove the ground glass in order to install the roll back. How does one focus then? Do you focus with the ground glass and then remove it by taking out the 4 little screws and mounting the roll back? Seems kind of odd to me.

RF backs

I'm not sure how this works specifically on the Shen Hao, but on most cameras with a Graflok-type back, you focus on the groundglass, then there's a simple mechanism for releasing it, so you can attach the RFH. You shouldn't have to deal with screws or bolts. On most cameras you press the hinge arms in to unhook the focusing frame and slide it off.

RF backs

Tom,

The DAYI/Shen Hao 6x17 backs have two components: a ground glass and film back. After popping off your 4x5 ground glass, you focus on the 6x17 ground glass the same as you would normally. You next remove the gg, insert the film back, and take the shot.

This website shows how the DAYI 6x17 back works:

http://www.kgcphoto.com/Reviews_&_Tutorials/shen-hao_6x17_back.htm

RF backs

Thank you everybody!
    No, Pano is not my main aim. The costs of a 4x5 plan-film are way too high in the part of Germany where I live. Plus no shop in the vicinity (100km) develope 4x5 film, if then it is almost 7-9Euro/sheet. A total of 13-15Euro/sheet is way too high for a 4x5 newbie.
    I may buy the 6x7/6x9 Super Rolex RFH and a ShenHao soon.

RF backs

Just as a thought, Robert White in the U.K. is doing a special deal on a 6 x 7 Sinar Roll film Holder for £215. The advantage with this film holder is that it slips in like an ordinary sheet film holder between the camera and ground glass. But do make sure your camera can take it as it is quite thick around 1 inch.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/