Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone please give few main coordinates about which are the bests B&W enlarger?

Re: Can someone please give few main coordinates about which are the bests B&W enlarg

You are in luck -- at least if you live in a metropolitan area. People have been basically giving away enlargers -- and gear -- since digital "hit". If you have access to Craigs List or schools, colleges, photo shops, etc. you can find some amazing gear for very little. If it's cheap it might be a good place to start and figure out what you want. I bought a used Beseler CB7 with two Schneider lenses for $400. I sold the lenses for $400, so I got the enlarger for free.

Re: Can someone please give few main coordinates about which are the bests B&W enlarg

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I had to start saying no lest I become a hoarder.
    I know. Just a couple of years ago a friend who has a GREAT darkroom with two GREAT Durst enlargers, etc. contacted me because be wanted to shut down his darkroom. He tried colleges, high schools, etc. no one wanted any of his gear because they were doing the same thing he was doing. EBAY was no good due to competition and shipping costs. He wanted to give me all his stuff, but I didn't need any of it. He eventually got rid of everything -- and he got nothing. BUT that was OK with him!!!

I have an LPL/VCCE. It replaced a Beseler 45MX, and I have never looked back.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I have a Beseler CB7. It supplemented my Beseler 45MX II, and I have never looked back.

You did say that

Quote Originally Posted by gabriele turchi View Post
    i am open to used or new , i don't necessarily need to be on a tight budget , for now i would love to understand what makes an enlarger a great enlarger and then start searching for it (if is no longer made) or buy it new .

thanks so much !!!
    g
    The beauty of LPL is that it is still being made, can be bought new or used (look in Craigslist) and accessories are readily available. There are many fine enlargers out there that parts can be a nightmare to find.

For B&W, a VCCE enlarger is the only way to go to make your life simple. If you want to make it complicated, then go for one of the other suggestions! Did you look up the KHB Photografix website? They carry Omega, LPL, DeVere, etc. and are a wealth of information.

http://store.khbphotografix.com/

You can also search this website, there must be hundreds of My Enlarger is the Best threads!

L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    For B&W, a VCCE enlarger is the only way to go to make your life simple.
    What's a "VCCE enlarger"?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    What's a "VCCE enlarger"?

- Leigh
    Variable contrast constant exposure

Ilford, and probably others, made VC heads to fit some enlargers. Convenient? Yes. More expensive? Yes. Intermediate filtration? Yes. Can you do the same thing with a color head? Yes.

For someone starting out an Ilford head on a good chassis is an excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    For someone starting out an Ilford head on a good chassis is an excellent choice.
    Ilford made great heads until they break.....