Howdo all,

Colour Temperture Meters - are they really worth having for landscape photography?

While I have shot plenty of colour E6 4x5 and rollfilm, I've never really been a position to use filters beyond that of a polariser and UV. However, I will be in places (mountains and desert) where colour temperatures are potentially going to vary more than I'm used to. I'll be expecting to use warming and cooling filters and have figured that a good guess may be okay for this type of photography (rather than studio where I'm guessing it's more important). I doubt if I want to go the whole way and do actual colour correction but I'll never say never. Would a meter ease things greatly?

Also, and partly as an aside, because I've had little need to manipulate scanned transparencies, I've not really played with the 'filters' available in Photoshop. I'm always a little wary of using such digital filters - partly because I'm not trusting of their accuracy but more importantly I've always regarded a scanned E6 transparency as a fixed 'raw file' with little room for, in this case, colour correction unlike a true digital raw file. I also like to get things done properly in the field rather than try to correct 'mistakes' in front of the PC screen so the less time correcting, the better. Is this a fair comment or can Photoshop do a really good job on E6 transparencies?

Cheers,
Duff.