Thread: 1920s Cameras--What's Available?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Foamer

1920s Cameras--What's Available?

I have a little collection of 1920s vintage lenses I generally use on my Chamonix 045n, and some on my Gundlach Korona 5x7. What I like about these lenses is they have competent shutters (Compound, Compur, Volute,) are uncoated, and give a nice period look. However, the ones I have generally have max shutter speeds of 1/150s. Usually this is fast enough for me, but I also like to use the lenses to photo action subjects--steam trains and steam threshing. I'm pretty limited in photo'ing moving trains with these lenses. I am aware there were cameras with focal plane shutters in the 20s, but know little about them. Thinking over my needs, I've come up with this list:

1. must be reasonably compact
    2. prefer 4x5 or 120 (6x9)
    3. under $500 for a good copy
    4. able to be handheld or used on tripod
    5. interchangeable lenses would be nice
    6. not overly complicated
    7. like to shoot both horizontals and verticals (not a deal killer though)

I'm first looking at cameras that would have been used in the Upper Midwest, but will also consider European models such as Zeiss Mirroflex (not sure I want to start yet another film format though--9x12.) Mostly what I think I want is a smaller camera with a focal plane shutter. The RB Graphlex are interesting, but look cumbersome. Not sure if they can be used on a tripod either. I'm aware of the Speed Graphic and that might be something I end up with by default. For some reason I've never really warmed to them, but a pristine 1920s copy might be cool! There is one other camera that's always intrigued me and that's the National Graphlex Series I or II. I like the small size, it takes 120, and it looks pretty cool. However, I've read they are very cumbersome for an amateur to use. I'm not sure if I'm an amateur though. I've been collecting and using cameras from the first 50 years of the 20th C for at least five years now. I have and use such oddities as the Ansco Memo and the Kodak Panoram with no trouble. So, what do you think?

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BHRRcurveM.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!