Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brand 17 question

Re: Brand 17 question

Yeah, that is by far the cleanest Brand I have ever seen. They can get fairly corroded, but it never seems to hurt them any. So you still cannot get the plunger to pull out? Let some lube soak in for a bit with the camera upside down. Mine is much nicer now that I have used machine oil on it. I think Brand advertising even stated that the standards could be switched either way whether you wanted focus on the front or the back. It is perfectly symmetrical to allow for that. Chris

If machine oil does not get it loose try DEEP CREEP from SeaFoam. You could use PB Blaster but it smells and that does linger. Just a drop or two on the screw and let it sit for an hour or so before trying to move the screw. After it gets loose clean with a good small wire brush and use something like silicone lube on it when you put it back on.
    Good luck.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

rank beginner

Thanks, Chris and Willie, for your comments.

From the state of the bellows, I'd say it was more displayed than used by the original owner, if not stored away in the dark. But it's getting plenty of use now. The one clear ad I've found online shows it in in front focus mode for handheld use and rear focus mode for studio use.

My neighbour has some penetrating oil, but, like PB Blaster, it stinks mightily. I think I'll try Deep Creep. The name alone ...

rank beginner

There's no fool like an old fool, and this one is almost a year older. The answer was there all along: the thumb screw next to the stub was preventing the back from turning; I simply had to lower it. Which I did for the first time a couple of hours ago. Some of you knew this and tried to tell me but I was so fixed on the stub I couldn't see anything else. (I kept mistaking it for the thumb screw we were talking about, in fact.) My apologies to everyone for being such a dunderhead.