Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Want to replace Chamonix, field camera or medium format suggestions?

Imagowan

Re: Want to replace Chamonix, field camera or medium format suggestions?

Thank you Jim,

Trying to find a unit that comes all together on ebay, but hard to navigate what is what

Small town, South Carolina, US

Based on reviewing your website I think a MF camera would be the best choice. The Pentax 6X7 would work but actually any MF camera would
    be more than good enough. 6X7, 6X6 or 4.5x6 I myself would prefer a Hasselblad system if you can afford it. Start off with an 80mm lens until you get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagowan View Post
    Thank you all. Especially John and and Otto. John do you have any specific camera recommendations? Any thoughts Otto? I wish there was a way to try out some of these camera prior to purchase.
    Well as I said, Pentax 67ii. But why? Hasselblad is ok and Rolleiflex twin lens reflex also, the latter being much more handy for the way work with people. You should have the one with the Planar 3.5/75. But they are not exactly cheaper and the Rollei is having just one lens. Apart from that I find the 6*6 format nice, but special. The 6*7 format is much more multi-purpose. Personally I like that format very much. It’s also ideal for magazines, for single portraits in portrait mode, for double or triple portraits in landscape mode. The 105mm is your first choice for your people work, drawing very nice and not as unforgiving as the Hasselblad sometimes can be. You have to ask yourself whether something like 12-1400$ is too much money for your excellent work. You can always resell for the same price, some ebay sellers have a return policy of 30 days.

Hello all!

Ultimately, this is because of my own photographic process and inability to decide what I want to make work about than it is anything to do with the camera.

- Issy
    There is nothing wrong with your camera. You just suffer from G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). Normally the cure will not be found in buying more gear. Just try harder to answer the questions regarding what you want to say with your work.

Imagowan

Quote Originally Posted by gary mulder View Post
    There is nothing wrong with your camera. You just suffer from G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). Normally the cure will not be found in buying more gear. Just try harder to answer the questions regarding what you want to say with your work.
    This is exactly on point. The hardest advice to hear sometimes is the most accurate and best. I have a certain sense of what I want to say but I suppose I am wondering how different cameras can render that vision. I wish I could find a place that does trial runs... just so I can know if there is something out there that might be a great fit or put to bed this nagging feeling.

Hello all!

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the 5d mainly because now I have a bunch of equipment for it, but in doing this have lost the passion of simply seeing and making. I get distracted by this or that and don't focus on what I want and how to achieve it. Any ideas are welcome and I am incredibly appreciative for all and any advice.

Thank you!

- Issy
    You have a good eye for people (I saw your website), but I think using a 4 by 5 camera for this kind of work gets in the way, and it is easy to see why you did not like the Chamonix.

But it sounds like you want to slow down, at least sometimes, and using a 4 by 5 could be a way for you to do so and still take pictures. Why not try it on subjects that it is more ideal for, like landscapes, or maybe still-lifes or portraits? It may take a while for you to get satisfying work, but that fits the idea of slowing down. You could trade/sell the Chamonix for a simpler field camera -- lots of used ones out there -- and just focus on using what you have, one lens, B & W film, just simple wandering around and taking pictures when you see something you like. And I think you will see something, and others will like it.

Imagowan

Thank you mmerig. This is good feedback... I agree, the 4x5 can get in the way- especially the Chamonix. I agree on a simpler field camera. What would your suggestions be in regard to that? There are so many out there that it becomes hard for me to feel confident as to what I may be getting.

As you say, there are lots of them out there, and you'll get many recommendations here (LFPF) as to which to get. Here is some simple advice:

1. There is no perfect camera that works for every task -- if there was, they would all be the same.

2. Decide on the type of photography you will be doing, and then start looking for cameras that are suited for it. The LFPF home page has a general article http://www.largeformatphotography.info/matos-begin.html on camera uses and features to look for.

3. Make a short list of acceptable cameras, maybe ranking them by likely price, availability, and desirable features.

4. Start looking at the various auction sites, second-hand stores, the LFPF and APUG (PHOTOTRIO) classifieds, etc.

5. Save your egg money, sell your Chamonix, etc. to have funds ready.

6. When a suitable one comes up, get it.

7. Most important-- When the choices are so similar that it is hard to choose, it's natural to think it's a hard decision. But the decision is actually an easy one, because the consequences of choosing one over another are likewise similar. Don't lose sleep over a decision that is really a snooze.

Rob Simmons

If you went the MF I highly recommend the Mamiya6. Love the square format no need to rotate for a photo. It is a very compact camera the lens will collapse into the camera to make for a small footprint. I find it easy to carry, has a nice meter so no need to carry one and you only have 3 lenses so no worries of what to buy next. For LF I have an Ebony field camera that is not bad at setting up but the Mamiya6 is my favorite. The 6x6 was the preferred MF format of Ansel Adams. Something about a square negative that just exudes fine art.

Having recently acquired a Crown Graphic, it strikes me as a sensible choice in the OP's situation. Just be patient and get one with the original lens, rangefinder, infinity stops, focussing scales etc. in place and functional.

Set-up is dead easy then. The camera folds up into a reasonably compact box with no fragile appendages, lens safely inside. For most basic use, you push a button, pull open the front cover which clicks in place firmly. You grab the front standard by its locking lever, unlock, pull out straight against the infinity stops, flip lever left or right to lock... And that's it. You can now focus with the rangefinder or open the shutter and push a little release tab to pop open the viewing hood to compose on the ground glass.

There is a limited set of movements that you can use but their controls stay nicely out of way when all you want is a 'straight' shot. The camera is built well enough to inspire confidence. It may lack some of the smoothness and finesse of, say, a Linhof but it's definitely a beautiful instrument in its own right.

I guess the best part is that unlike some of the alternatives discussed here, a nice Crown can be very affordable. For a single data point, I got my 1964 top rangefinder model complete with a clean 135/4.7 Xenar in Synchro-Compur-P for 200 GBP from a well-known UK store.