Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What Would Edward Weston Use Today?

What Would Edward Weston Use Today?

So this was like one of those trick questions where people read into it too deeply? Interesting! Edward Weston was known for his 8x10 work and contact prints---why would anyone entertain the notion that He'd have switched to anything else? Plenty of artists use mediums that are anything but the latest technology. Why would Edward Weston be any different? Except for his rather hi-tech coffee pot, what indication is there that He was a "techy?" He certainly could have gone the Leica route(but didn't) or color(but he dosen't appear to have done any 'serious' color work either) Consider how financially strapped he often was---a 35mm or MF would be a lot cheaper but theres the story of him cut down war surplus aerial film in order to contunue photography.

I think---I don't know for a fact---that Weston wasn't interested in fashion or quickly changing trends or whims. Thats why Weston's work, IMHO has a timeless quality and traditional materials and processes were what he worked with and was interested in.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Why ask a question if you already 'know' the answer? If Bresson had died before he quit photography, would anyone have guessed that he would quit and take up painting? I am sorry that you didn't get the answers that you wanted to hear (ie, agreeing with you) but IMO many of the disagreeable comments have merit.

Aaron,

When I first asked the question, I did not know the answer; that's why I asked it. I also asked the question to save myself some time. Five months later, I believe I now know what Edward might have used today if he were alive.

Best regards,

Greg

John,

I agree with your assessment. I would also like to add that Edward was a minimalist by all the accounts I have read so he would not have burdened himself with different types of equipment or undertaken different types of photographic styles or approaches.

Thanks for responding.

To cross polinate threads here. If we believe he would still use an 8x10 then we probably would believe that he would still not be using a densitomoter to dtermine his personal film speed too. Here simple technique is called minimalist on the other thread you would just have crappy techique.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I think Brett would of showed him how to use an enlarger.