Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikor Enlarger vs. Omege series D

Nikor Enlarger vs. Omege series D

Hello I am new to the wonderful world of large format phogotography and was wondering if anywone knew what type and model of enlarger I should get. Many say Omega series D enlargers are good. Right now, however I have a deal to get a Honeywell Nikor (not Nikkor) System 6x7 enlarger with 17 3/4" x 17 3/4" base. This system comes complete with-- everything-- needed in a dark room for a reasonable price. Since I am a beginner I am currently working with 4x5 negatives ...I am planning on printing them no bigger than 8x10. Is this a flexible enough system for me or only good for a while being only necessary for my current "beginner" wants and "needs" as most often I will be working no bigger than 8x10 but would sometimes like to go bigger. Is this system what I need?

A 6x7 enlarger is limited to 6x7 negatives. You want a 4x5 enlarger or bigger to handle 4x5 negatives. A bigger enlarger can usually handle smaller negatives but the other way doesn't work.

"6x7" refers to 6x7 centimeters, but "4x5" is 4x5 inches, so, illogical though it may seem at first, a 4x5 negative won't fit in a 6x7 enlarger.

Yes, it's confusing if you're just starting out...

I was wondering that The seller said it could fit that format but I would have to have a 4x5 negative carrier. Is there a specific 4x5 enlarger that is recommended? I know "omega" but I need something more specific like what it the model or type? Anywthing in the Omega D series, what about Beseler?

Once again the seller said the 4x5 format would fit with the enlarger if I had the right negative carrier is this incorrect?

4x5" film can not fit into a 2.25 x 2.75" (6x7cm) enlarger regardless of the carrier.

45 enlargers are available from Omega, Beseler, Durst, Fujimoto, Homerich, LPL and a few others. Honeywell never had any 4x5" units.

Misty, with due respect to your seller, I suspect they don't know what they are talking about. Further, I do not recall that Honeywell ever manufactured or marketed a 4x5 enlarger. IMO your best choices are Durst and Saunders followed by Omega. I find both the Durst and Saunders enlargers are much solider than most of the Omega's you see on the used market. You will also find fabulous deals on used enlargers. For example, I know where there is a Durst Laborator complete with all the condensers for 5x7, 4x5, 6x7, 6x9, 6x6 and 35mm, 3 lenses, an Aristo cold light head and a variable format negative carrier for $400 (and it can probably be had for less) ... this for a machine that cost many thousands new ...and this isn't even used, it is a demo.

It is incorrect. A 4x5" negative will not fit in the Nikor 6x7 enlarger. There's no negative carrier for it, because it's too big for that enlarger.

There are many 4x5 enlargers available. Among the more commonly seen are the Omega D-series, Beseler 45M and 45V series, and LPL (or Saunders-LPL) 4500 series enlargers. Within these series there are many specific models available.

This system comes complete with-- everything-- needed in a dark room for a reasonable price.

You should know that in general, used darkroom equipment is very inexpensive these days. It would be a good idea to do a bit more homework before you spend any money, so that you can be more confident that you're spending your money wisely and will get what you really need at a fair price.

Hello, and welcome to LF.
    Most enlargers are named in a way that the largest negative they will handle is in the name or model designation. D series Omega enlargers can accomodate 4x5 negatives. The way you have described the enlarger in your post would indicate that 120 film is the extent of its capability. I am not familar with a Honeywell 4x5 enlarger, and would recommend going with the Omega or a Bressler if your are looking for a good used enlarger. I have, and have been very pleased with an Omega D2V. The "V" denotes the enlarger having a varible condenser, which is adjusted for different focal length lenses, used with different size negatives. I use my enlarger with 35mm, 120, and 4x5 negatives. With a D2 not having a varible condenser, different condenser sets are needed for each format.
    If the Honeywell is truly capable of enlarging 4x5 negatives, but the seller does not have the negative carrier for 4x5, be aware that it may be very difficult to locate one.

GREAT RESPONSES Really much help. I hope to hear more...thanks to everyone.

Sooo what type of Beseler/ Saunder/ Omega model-type should I look at. I have already a few responses giving specific titles and names--anymore recommeded specifics would be great b/c I know not all omega/ besler/ saunder model types are made for large format. Oh and with the 4x5 format enlargers can they be adjustable to go bigger? What specific model-types are flexible to go bigger Thanks