Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calumet CC400 on 3047 rotates on the quick release

Calumet CC400 on 3047 rotates on the quick release

Everyone seems to be missing the real problem with the QR 3047 head. The slipping that Warren is having is not between the hex QR plate but between the plate and the "auto" clamp of the 3047. I had the same problem myself with my 4x5 and 8x10 Toyo cameras. No amount of spring force of the auto clamp would keep the camera from rotating out of the QR clamp when loading film holders, especially in landscape format. I solved the problem by selling the 3047's I had and buying the older version with the screw clamp, problem solved, no rotating cameras. The older heads can be found on Xbay or by placing an ad on the buy-sell boards, that is what I did and now I have five of them. Actually, I can't figure why the QR heads are so popular, what is the hurry to save five seconds anyway at the risk of the camera moving? The only benefit of the newer heads is the larger diameter of the clamping handles but new replacements are available for the older units.

Paul

You may be missing a trick here.

The problem is that there is insufficient friction between the base of the caera and the tripod mount. Looking at the base of my just acquired CC400, the base has two sides and the central mounting hole. If you were to cut a shim out of 2mm sheet alu or similar the right width to fit between the sides, and add a hole in the middle for the mounting bolt, then fix this to the tripod adapter via a couple of pop rivets, you now have a CC400 specific base which will give you complete directional stability with no worries about needing to use shear off the tripod bolt type forces to stop it moving.

Ascii art below
    [pre]
    / ____ _____
    /_| | | |_

[/pre]
    This is the base of the camera socket with the two edges and the tripod screw (representational)

[pre]

[/pre]

And tha adapter plate which should be thin enough to sit in the gap and be flush to the edges of the mount.

It will require a tiny bit of machining and is readily doable with domestic powertools and a file.
    In fact, I may make one now for mine.

..d

Doesn't really help you if you're "married" to the hex plate system but the Bogen / Manfrotto 329RC4 I luckily won in a local contest locks down rock solid with my CC-400. The plate is a large, rectangular one providing plenty of surface area for the head to grip the camera base and the design of the head is such that it doesn't twist in the quick mount like the hexagonal or small rectangular Manfrotto plates.

If you can solve the problem of your plate twisting in the tripod head, RRS or Kirk used to make a Hex to Arca Swiss adapter. Those Arca Swiss style plates really lock down tight.