Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calumet CC400 on 3047 rotates on the quick release

Calumet CC400 on 3047 rotates on the quick release

I recently picked up an old Calumet CC400-something, and based on some advice given in another thread, I also bought a Bogen 3047 head for my tripod. The problem I have now is that the quick release doesn't grip the tripod mount firmly enough to prevent the whole camera from rotating. Even just inserting a Polaroid (when the back is rotated to landscape format) is enough to twist the camera. Does anyone have any advice on a better way to mount this camera on a tripod? I've only tried tightening the quick release by hand; I'd rather not have to take a wrench to it.

For those not familiar with the 3047 or the CC400 tripod mount, the following pictures show what happens when even just a small force is applied to the end of the rail:

I just noticed that the quick release plate has a hole in it, near one of the "points" of the plate:

Could something be put in there to prevent the camera from rotating? The hole isn't threaded.

the problem is that even if you apply a large amount of force when attaching the qick-release plate, it only takes a small amount of force levered force from the camera to losen it.

I mount the camera on the tripod, turn the whole thing on the mount to tighten it. then release the QR plate and reposition it on the tripod. Works great with the hexagonal plates.

Just a warning: I would not reccomend doing this with a wooden camera (which is what I have).
    It's easy to split the wood doing something like this.

Warren,
    I encountered the same problem with a Sinar on the 3047 hex plate QR. I got the Manfrotto 3297 hex plate (a large square plate that fits the QR) and screwed it with a wrench to the camera (tight but not overdoing it!). I keep the plate permanently attached to the camera. The 3297 is expensive though - $30 plus. Hope this helps.

There are three points at which camera rotation could occur. The camera could be rotating on the plate, the plate could be rotating within the clamping mechanism, or the whole head could be turning on the tripod. From your description it sounds like movement of the plate within the clamping mechanism is the source of your problem.

I've used seveal different Bogen heads (four at least) all of which used a hexagonal plate to attach the camera to the tripod head. I haven't experienced the problem you describe with any of them. It sounds to me as though there's a problem with the clamping mechanism into which the plate is inserted, i.e. that something has come loose or a part has worn or for whatever other reason the clamping mechanism on the head isn't clamping the plate as tightly as it should be. The only othe possibility is that you've somehow gotten a plate that's just a little too small but that seems unlikely.

I think you need to try to repair the clamping mechanism. Replacing the plate with the 3297 plate mentioned by Antonio probably won't help. It's an excellent plate , I presently use it with my 8x10 camera, but underneath the 4" square plate is the same hex type system you presnetly have. I also don't see that Darin's suggestion would help, his suggestion seems to deal with the whole head turning on the tripod and it doesn't sound like that's what you're encountering.

Unfortunately Bogen's minimum repair charge is $100 plus shipping and you could almost buy a brand new 3047 head for that. If I were you I'd examine the clamping mechanism closely and see if there isn't something that can be tightened or a spring that could be replaced, anything that would make the clamping mechanism work better. You might even be able to attach a shim of some sort to the little round part that actually connects the plate to the head to make the fit tighter.

I'd suggest that you call Bogen's repair department (get the number from www.bogenimaging.com), I've found them helpful and they might be able to pinpoint the source of the problem and sell you a part that you could install yourself. But short of fixing the problem youself I think you will have to either live with it (which isn't necessarily impossible I used a tripod head that turned a little on the tripod for quite a while) or buy a new head. Given the cost of a new 3047 head having someone else try to repair it doesn't seem feasible.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Excellent suggestion by Darin above. It's still quite possible though that you won't dare use enough force to make it really hold and you also don't want to kill the threads on the camera, be it a metallic one. Just to mention what I've tried and found not to work in a similar situation:
    If you used a piece of a nail to peg the camera in place, there would still be quite a bit of free play since you won't really know when it's "tight enough" to be pegged and the hole can either end up in a good or a bad spot. I'm guessing it wouldn't take a long while for a few degree shift to become quite objectionable. You could also insert a metal plate in between and hammer the ends agains the hex plate and the camera to keep them from spinning, but this too would only keep it from turning much. If you've still got grip problems after trying it out the way Darin suggested, the next thing to do is to replace the material on the hex plate. You could first try a piece of firm cloth like torn off jeans pocket or a piece of thick engine seal to give the two pieces better grip once tightened up. Contrary to what manufacturers seem to think, rubber is not the best material to use to grip to parts of metal together. It gives in and has to be initially over tightened and then loosened up a bit to release the tension, or that's what I've thought. My Manfrotto head for example is much better without than with the rubber piece.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try DarinWC's first. The black rubber pad is easily removed from the plate, so I'll also try it without the pad.

Brian, the problem I am having is the first one that you listed: the camera is rotating on the plate.

The 3297 might work, but I think physics will still be working against me. I think what I really need is a plate with an "anti-twist" lip, such as 3157NR. But the 3157NR is a smaller rectangular plate. I checked out the Bogen/Manfrotto web page (www.bogenimaging.us), and I found the 3267 hex plate. I can't tell from the picture on the web page if the lip can be adjusted to lie flush against the tripod mount. If it can, the 3267 might work. Does anyone have one of those? Is it adjustable, and if so, how?

Similar to the rubber pad idea... You know that knubby, rubber mat stuff (the thicker the better) that you use under area rugs to keep them from sliding about? That stuff is fantastic for keeping the camera from rotating. I just cut a piece the same size as the plate, work a hole for tripod screw and mount. A light touch with a wrench and you're good to go.

Glue two pieces of silicone carbide sand paper (120 grit or so) together back to back and insert it between the two surfaces. If this works, you might want to permanently glue a piece to the bottom of the the mounting block.

Look on the underside of the Bogen plate, there should be several set screws near the tripod screw that can be tightened against the camera tripod block to prevent rotation. Shouldn't be a problem with your camera as it's base is metal, wouldn't recomend this with a wood camera tho.