Thread: Majestic Tripod Head 1/4"to 3/8" Make Up Screw Fix

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Majestic Tripod Head 1/4"to 3/8" Make Up Screw Fix

A couple of years ago I found myself acquiring a Majestic tripod with a series 1200 head that was perfect for my Deardorff V11 and my Canham 8x20 camera. Unfortunately, the head (like so many in the used market) came with a 1/4x20 make up screw which was inadequate for my needs and the perpetual optimist in me assumed that acquiring a stronger 3/8" make up screw would be quick and easy. Calls to the manufacturer let me know that they stopped making that part some time prior. I missed a small number of replacement screws on B&H and was starting to be concerned where the fix was to be found.

On a shot in the dark I called the owner of Becher that made the tripod and the head and asked him if he had the engineering schematic for the 3/8" screw and he told me he did and he would send it to me. Fortunately I had a good friend here in Denver that is a master photographer and master machinist who was able to take the spec sheet and produced the 3/8" make up screw and assembled it on my tripod head and I was all smiles and in business.

I read a recent post where Luis Sosa was similarly looking for the same 3/8" Majestic make up screw. Fortunately, the good friend kept the spec sheet on the 3/8" make up screw and was able to fix the problem for Luis at a reasonable price and he was good to go. I would be remise if I did not at least make a concerted effort to reach out to the LF community to see if any other LF photographers are similarly in need of the 3/8" Majestic spring loaded make up screw for their tripod heads. Please PM me if you are interested and I will pass along the proper details.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 20-Jul-2017 at 07:07. Reason: typo