Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freestyle Advisory Board

Freestyle Advisory Board

Congratulations Kirk,

Maybe you can address a pet peeve of mine. I applaud the availability of private label film, but I strongly believe there should be reasonable transparency about their origin. I would like to know the following: A) where the film is from,
    B) what the film is very similar to in terms of the range of products currently available in the market, and
    C) I would like Freestyle to inform us when the private lable supplier is changed (i.e. is "Superduper Universal Pan 400" made by the same manufacturer as it was last year?). Since I like consistency and develop my techniques around certain films, I need this information in order to make informed buying decisions - otherwise I will stick with the name brands. By the way, the same goes for printing paper, though it is much less critical.

Good luck,

Phil

Eric Biggerstaff

Freestyle Advisory Board

Kirk,

Way to go! Now we get to see your lovely picture in their catalog!

I am looking to Freestyle more and more for film and paper, they have such a great range and I find the customer service excellent.

The only thing I can say is to encourage them to continue to bring in new products and continue to offer the range of products they do for those of us in the traditional part of the market.

One item I would like to see them stock is Fuji Neopan 100 Arcos in loose sheets. I have noticed in threads on this site that more people are trying this product out (it is very good) and perhaps this is an indication that Fuji is starting to get a little traction with the product. I enjoy the Quickload version, but the expense keeps me from stocking up on it. Perhaps if they could keep a case of the non-Quickload version on hand, sales would increase, demand would rise and the price might be more realistic.

Anyway, thanks in advance for all the great work we know you will do.

Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Freestyle Advisory Board

Kirk,

I recently got an order of 5x12 FP4+ from Photowarehouse. I've ordered the 5x12 camera from Keith Canham but haven't gotten it yet. I ordered the film now because a) I like FP4+ and b) At the time, they were getting low on their master roll. Tillman Crane and Clay Harmon shoot 5x12 and there's a fellow in New Zealand, Clayton Tume, who also shoots 5x12. Michael Mutmansky is shooting 10x12 at the moment. So, there are a few other sizes not mentioned above.

Freestyle Advisory Board

Say hello to John S!

I did his advanced workshop last November.

Freestyle Advisory Board

It strikes me that the key to much of these concerns revolves around simply getting Ilford to start selling their master rolls again to recutters. Freestyle may not have an interest in doing the cutting of ULF and odd sizes but they may benefit from having a sourse again for some of their better house brand film that I used for years. In that light it would serve everyones interest to push Ilford along.

By the way I don't use anything over 4x5 (FP4, NPS and Acros right now in 4x5) so my only interest here is simply the health of the genre. I will try to get this information to someone who matters.

kirk
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Freestyle Advisory Board

Kirk- Any inside information on exactly what the Arista.edu films are, (whether they are re-boxed versions another film), and any other pertinent info you hear on them would be appreciated. Thanks!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Freestyle Advisory Board

This is probably way out, but since it is written on 100% recyclable electrons, it may do no harm.

Why is there no color transparency film with a gamma of about 0.6? I have not tried it side-by-side, but due to the many layers, color negative film must be inherently less sharp than transparency. Such film would have all the advantages: the sharpness of transparency; the wide contrast range, now only found in negative - no more need for crunches like gradient filters or diffuse pre-exposure; give a positive image right away for preliminary selection, no need to scan just for this; otherwise easier to scan than negative film. The only thing it would not have are "brilliant" images right away when coming back from the lab.

When there is a market for b&w negative in odd ULF sizes, there should certainly be a market for this emulsion. One should believe this film would appeal to all who do landscape in color at a minimum level of ambition. If you can talk Freestyle/Kodak/Fuji into it, don't forget to have them include roll film - I can not afford 4x5.

Good light!
    Hening

Freestyle Advisory Board

Keep the comments coming. I have told people at Freestyle about the thread and they will be checking it out.

I will be out of the loop for a few days. I have to drive to Chicago to teach my architectural photography class at the Art Institute.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Freestyle Advisory Board

Is there any chance of colour sheet film under the Arista brand? There would seem to be a market for a more affordable product.

Outside of the LF area how about 220 B&W film?

Freestyle Advisory Board

Kirk,

Thanks for asking. My non-mainstream needs are simple. B&w film in 11x14, preferably Tri-X. And paper in 12x15 to print it on.

I believe it is a lost cause, but I always take any opportunity to say it: I would buy lots of Tri-X in ReadyLoads, if someone would just make it. Actually, any additional b&w selection would be great.