Hey there, gang!

I'm in the midst of building an attachment for the back of my Graphic View that will make it function as a film projector. Its simply a housing that will velcro on the back of it and carries a light source and a slot for film. My light source of choice is is strips of LED tape, mostly for weight and heat reasons. However, since it's many tiny LEDs, I need to diffuse the light substantially so as to avoid many hot spots.

My question is this: where should I put the diffusion? My initial thought was to install it partway between the lights and the film, but I think the further from the lights it is, the better job it will do of evening out the light, is that correct? If so, the film holder I've made for this system two glass pieces hinged together. That way I can sandwich slides of any format (up to 4x5) in the holder and drop it in. If more distance is better, would it behove me to attach the diffusion gel directly to one side of the film holder? That way the greatest possible distance between the light and the film is achieved and as long as I slide the holder in the right way, I don't see why that wouldn't be fine. But thats why I am asking you all! Do you foresee a problem with affixing the diffusion to the backside of the glass slide holder? Should I perhaps do both and install one sheet of diffusion partway between the film and the holder and some on the holder as well?

As always, thank you for your time and wisdom!