Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: STORM DESTROYS PHOTOGRAPHER’S TENT

STORM DESTROYS PHOTOGRAPHER’S TENT

Business ops-I would go Back to the Future, like the Harley Davidson conclaves in your neck of the woods. A gleaming Harley and leather chic would look great in tintype. You have many tent options given. The art suppliers (try aswexpress.com or Jerry's artama) sell tents made for the craft shows. GOOD LUCK.

Here in Colo. (Denver) one can have a tent made out of white canvas--------perhaps the company has set sizes in stock. Hunters use them during Elk season, & long ago, when I was hunting, I spent a hunting season or two in various tents (sizes) etc from this company.

If you recall perhaps a Mathew Brady Civil War Photo of Lincoln & Grant signing papers or in a sitting pose, or McClellan perhaps, ------these are the tents I have in mind for you.

If you have an interest, let me know & I will do further research for you as I have forgotten the name of the tent manufacturer.

Raymond-----in Vail.

Jane, if you have the carrying capacity in your travel rig, I'd be pretty strongly tempted to try a lean-to made of scrap wood, guyed with tensioned ropes (ideally, sisal or hemp cord) and staked down with wood tent pegs (which can be made from 1x1 mill stock in about one minute each on a bandsaw, chop saw, or table saw). Canvas or "canvas" walls can cover the two triangular sides (or trapezoidal sides and the low side if you elevate the lean-to to provide more space underneath). You could salvage material from your damaged "party tent" for now and later replace it with real duck canvas or preferably oilcloth.

The roof would be one or more panels with preapplied "long shingles" -- overlapping boards that will run water off like shingles would, but a couple feet long; the steep pitch of the lean-to roof will help in preventing leaks, and overlapping the shingles from one panel to the next will prevent leaks at the seam. Individual panels could be kept to 25-30 pounds, while the frame parts would weigh only a few pounds each, and the whole thing might cost as little as $20-$30 (pick a flavor, yours or mine) if you can get most of the lumber from construction scrap or similar (or have a lumber pile around). Alternately, the roof could be a simple frame to support more salvaged "canvas" from the party tent.

The key to making one of these practical is preassembly and holding key joints with quickly removable fasteners. Wood toggles of the type commonly seen on shed doors 30-40 years ago aren't usually tight enough, and anything else is likely to take too long to build in the first place for your time frame. However, I doubt anyone would notice heavy duty wing nuts on carriage bolts, and those are almost in period anyway (commercially made wing nuts came along in the early 1900s, carriage bolts go back to the 1870s or earlier).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

there's a biggy on ebay ("not one of those skimpy things that will blow away in the wind").

the Woods Prospector Cabin Tents don't look bad for your purpose. Made in Canada, on sale right now. Google under Woods tents.

Done deal! Ordered a quality 16x16 marquis tent from R.K. Lodges in Hackensak Mn. It'll be done this week and I'll drive down to pick it up on Friday. That leaves me 13 days including 1 weekend to set it up in the yard and do a trial run.

Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback.