This is an interesting topic. I, like others visiting this forum, have both commercial and personal work. Being now retired from the commercial field, I have recently attempted to deliver my negatives and transparencies to the original clients. This is not possible in every case but it eases my guilt of tossing out something that might be of interest to others. This relates somewhat to Wayne's comment. As an example, a few months ago I delivered about 600 negatives and transparencies to an architect I had done work for in the early 1970's. We were both pleased with the transaction.

When it comes to my personal work, over 50 years worth, my portfolio is now smaller than it was 20 years ago. I keep only what I consider my best work and have discarded most of the rest. I suppose that there is some risk to self editing but I believe the artist should make these decisions, not the critics, curators, family or friends.

Along these lines, there are well known photographers, often referenced on this forum, whose reputations would be enhanced had thae destroyed more of their work. Save the best, exhibit the best and destroy the rest.