Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with wet plate lens

Re: Need help with wet plate lens

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The date engraving is very, very unusual. Is there no serial number? The only other date I can remember on UK lenses was the day of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee (Ross lens?).

The lack of rear movements suggests a process camera, but basically a simplified version of Studio designs like Anthony, who were active before Century Cameras came along in 1899/1900.
    The serial number is 15999 its engraved on the lens, just not in the photo.

It's your lens but I'd vote against polishing it. Historical patina and all that.
    If you want them Waterhouse stops can be made from brass, aluminum and plastic sheets, even card stock. It takes a little math to know the exact f-stop you get from a given hole size v focal length. I've made a couple portraits with rapid rectilinear lenses. If you have a good set up it can work even at f11. I was using ~64 speed film but it was indoors and multi second exposures.

On Monday, the 16th of March 1868, Mr Longstaff, a very experienced staff member at Dallmeyers (He made lots of Patent Portrait lenses) finished 5 of these 15x12" Rapid Rectilinear lenses. They were given the serial numbers 15,996 to 16,000.
    No buyer was indicated, but it is likely all 5 went to the same purchaser - who perhaps engraved the later 1868 date on them when he received them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    On Monday, the 16th of March 1868, Mr Longstaff, a very experienced staff member at Dallmeyers (He made lots of Patent Portrait lenses) finished 5 of these 15x12" Rapid Rectilinear lenses. They were given the serial numbers 15,996 to 16,000.
    No buyer was indicated, but it is likely all 5 went to the same purchaser - who perhaps engraved the later 1868 date on them when he received them.

WOW. Where did you find out that information? That is pretty cool considering my lens is one of the five that was ordered. I'd love to know who purchased them that would be pretty amazing.

There is an on line historical archive of most of Dallmeyer' production through to the late 19th Century. Photos of ledgers/stock books made by Dallmeyer Sean about 10 years ago.
    Link to "Your" page is here:

http://www.thedallmeyerarchive.com/R...ings/15x12.pdf

The links are not 100% reliable, so try again later if necessary!