Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Backpack / Rucksack options

David Schaller

Re: 8x10 Backpack / Rucksack options

I use an old (25+ years) Lowe backpack. It's a top loader, and I have the Deardorff wrapped in my dark cloth, and holders in old laptop cases, and lenses, light meter and filters in a lumbar pack, all stacked inside. Get a real backpack that is comfortable to carry the weight. You can go to charity shops and find stuff for little money.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    I use an old (25+ years) Lowe backpack. It's a top loader, and I have the Deardorff wrapped in my dark cloth, and holders in old laptop cases, and lenses, light meter and filters in a lumbar pack, all stacked inside. Get a real backpack that is comfortable to carry the weight. You can go to charity shops and find stuff for little money.

Charity begins at home, try looking at:

www.shopgoodwill.com
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thanks for your replies guys, which I have been adding to my research, and my apology's for my delayed reply.
    Whilst the idea of partitioning a non-photo rucksack to suit my camera, and retaining the likely comfort-carrying and low profile security (i.e. they don't look to be stuffed with expensive equipment) advantages of such a bag, I really don't want to start another construction project or end up with something that looks amateurish. Furthermore I really want to get out with my camera!
    I am surprised how expensive the F64 bags are in France and it does look buying directly from the USA and including the import duties would be so much cheaper.
    So unless anyone shouts 'STOP' in the next 48 hours I guess I will be buying the Mindshift.

...Sweep

I currently use a Kelty Redwing.
    Tried the LowePro but it was just too doggone heavy.
    Just sayin'.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

thanks for adding to the confusion John :-)
    What size Redwing do you use for your 8x10 as they seem to come in several different litre size?
    It appears that only Amazon sell Kelty over here in England

...Sweep

I'll take something that looks "amateurish" that does its job perfectly for 20 years!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    thanks for adding to the confusion John :-)
    What size Redwing do you use for your 8x10 as they seem to come in several different litre size?
    It appears that only Amazon sell Kelty over here in England

...Sweep
    Mine says Redwing Classic LG and I ordered it from REI. It will hold the 'dorff, 4 film holders easily (5 if I put one in the camera) dark cloth(doubles as padding,) meter, release cables and loupe, filter kit and up to two lenses mounted on 6x6 boards (tight fit---not recommended) three if one rides in the camera reversed, but I never pack more than two with the smaller lens( 240 G Claron) inside the camera for added protection.
    I've had this for nearly 10 years plus it's been to Boy Scout Camp with my son on numerous occasions (we replaced it three years ago with an Osprey so I don't have to share my Redwing anymore!)
    The Ries tripod I now carry separately using a shotgun sling. The Redwing does have a daisy chain for lashing it aboard but it makes taking the pack on and off real clumsy---Ries are just too big for that nonsense, IMHO.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I'll take something that looks "amateurish" that does its job perfectly for 20 years!
    Yeah , but you haven't seen the quality of my work Vaughn. I would probably take a couple of months to think about the design, another few weeks to weigh up the material options, get bored, and never start it anyway ��

I just noticed that Vaughn's pack is a local (for me) product.
    MEI is about two miles from where I live.
    I need to check this out!

Another vote for F64 backpack. It is a little underspec-ed for a heavy 8x10 or lots of fast lenses - but does very nicely otherwise with an 8x10. My Ritter 8x10 just fits but my Ebony 810RW is a perfect fit. The real limitation is the number of holders you are willing to carry. I'd say about 3 is optimal given the set-up. They don't really fit in the outside zip area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk