Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Inkjet, posters, and limited edition prints

Inkjet, posters, and limited edition prints

Paul,

Save your breath. All you'll get from this minority is circular logic, evading the central topic at hand, and eventually insults .....because in the end, they have nothing to offer in the way of true insight.

Paul, perhaps Wayne was a bit extreme but his comment is right on the money. Even though you might think that calling them prints is ok because all the "authorities" do, that is no reason not to start a change in the views these curators and experts you mention have. Just because people are starting to demand that thing be called what they are does not mean they are resisting change.

OTOH only in the US and perhaps the UK is the term "print" used as a blanket for all these kinds of processes. I know that at least in the spanish speaking world the difference is clearly enunciated. One talks about "impresion por injeccion de tinta" when talking about ink jets, and one talks about a "fotografia" when talking about photographs, we do not use the word "impresion" when we talk about a photograph. This is also the case for France, Italy, Spain and many other countries.
    So just because your curators and museums use the term it does not make it automagically right or correct. Perhaps we should stop thinking the US as the center of the universe.

BTW, please tell me what museum considers gravure a photograph, I will make sure not to visit it as they seem not to know what they are talking about.

Ah, at the risk of sonding naive, some of my favorite Strand photographs are only seen presented in his gravures........................
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"So just because your curators and museums use the term it does not make it automagically right or correct. Perhaps we should stop thinking the US as the center of the universe."

I'm perfectly willing to consider an alternative view from curators or historians in other parts of the world. Is there a major museum in Europe, South America, or Asia that considers gravures, photographic inkjet prints, or dye sub prints anything but photography?

"BTW, please tell me what museum considers gravure a photograph, I will make sure not to visit it as they seem not to know what they are talking about."

Just for starters, you can cross off your list MoMA, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the International Center of Photography, the Whitney Museum, the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, the Colorado Historical Society, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Getty, and the Victoria and Albert Museum. I'm sure others here could add to this list until Mr. Luong throws us all out for boring everyone to death.

You mean his photogravures Kirk? There is a difference you know.........

BTW, please tell me what museum considers gravure a photograph, I will make sure not to visit it as they seem not to know what they are talking about.

Paul has already done that. The Metropolitan Museum of Art website provides the following page www.metmuseum.org/special/photography2001/photo_glos.htm

On that page, there's a list of "Principal Photographic Processes, Arranged Chronologically".

Included are daguerreotypes, Albumen silver prints, platinum prints, photogravure, carbon transfer prints, gelatin silver prints, chromogenic prints, dye transfer prints, dye diffusuion prints, and even ink jet prints.

Check it out. Sorry you won't be visiting the Met.

Arrrgghhh..... PHOTOGRAVURE and gravures are two different things.....herein lies the problem, shoddy use of terms......

Thanks to both Pauls for giving me a great laugh. I'm sure we'll see an attempt to change the topic now to get out of the painted corner......do I hear a "Yak, Yak, Yak" coming?

Ah, I wish someone would turn on the mosquito repelent, seems there is one around.

Paul, having lived in Houston for 10 years, been a MFAH contribuitor and visited the museumat least 8 times a year I can tell you they have photogravures, not gravures as part of their photographic collection. Same with the MoMA and Metropolitan which I had the opportunity to visit while doing a job in Manhattan for Con Ed. So, sorry buddy, but you are wrong.

Old School Wayne

Wayne, don't insult eveyone's intelligence.

Paul, the point as you well know is that authority is not always correct. They can be indoctrinated with false beliefs just like the rest of us. Its not hard for me to think of other fields where the so-called authorities are just plain wrong for these reasons, but that would veer too far off topic.