Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got My 35x35 Coverage Lens, Thanks So Much Everyone!!

Got My 35x35 Coverage Lens, Thanks So Much Everyone!!

Well you guys really came through for me! I was able to get 2 lens to cover the 35x35 camera I am having built in record time. I knew that the lens were out there, and that I would be able to buy them, I did not realize I would be able to get them so fast. Large glass like this is inevitably very expensive but that’s part of doing business when you’re going MAMMOTH! I rejoined this group only recently and found the members here of great help in the search for my lens. A couple of posts on my part and many of you came to my rescue. I wanted to thank the site and the folks out there who reached out to help me. I could not have done it without you!

I already own a 42 inch Goertz Red Dot Artar, which I do not think covers but I think I will be able to use, somewhat. The 2 newest buys with your help are (hope I get all the lens naming lingo stuff right):

Nikkor Apo 1780mm (70 inch) F14 (bought today).
    http://gerryyaum.blogspot.ca/2017/06...-f14-lens.html

and a

Zeiss Jena Apochromat Tessar 180cm f15
    http://gerryyaum.blogspot.ca/2017/06...old-brass.html

Here are the latest photos of the 35x35 camera build

http://gerryyaum.blogspot.ca/2017/06...update_15.html

I am having the front standard built up to handle the weight (18lbs) of the 1780mm. The metal lens board is just big enough to accommodate the lens (10 1/4 x 10 1/4 inches). I will also be using a separate tripod under the lens for added support. The bellows extension on this camera is 8 feet. The plan is to get a 2nd bellows (5-8 feet) that I can attach to the back of the camera as needed. That might take the total bellows extension to around 13-16 feet. Hope it is not windy!! I might have to devise some kind of tent type thing to shoot out of to protect the camera from the elements. Lots more planning and more thought needed for this project, got to figure out lots of things yet. I was planning to start in just under 5 years but with the quick buys on the lens and camera I might be able to start earlier. Probably a good thing because the weight of all this gear is well over 100lbs (200lbs?). I need to get on with this project before I get too old and shitty to deal with the physical part (I am 53). It is an inspirational way-reason to stay in shape thou!!! I have 2 online sources for a silver nitrate tank that will hold a 35x35 inch 4 mm thick glass plate. I will also be getting some reducing backs, possibly a 26x35 and maybe a 20x24 or smaller square format size.

Anyway, thought I should update you all on how it was going.

Thanks so much for your help, Gerry
    www.gerryyaum.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/gerry.yaum
    Last edited by gerry yaum; 26-Jun-2017 at 18:59.

Re: Got My 35x35 Coverage Lens, Thanks So Much Everyone!!

Congratulations Gerry,
    very inspiring to hear and to read about on your blog.
    ~nicholas
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

So next time I visit Canada, mind if I pop in for a *quick* portrait?

Quote Originally Posted by blue4130 View Post
    So next time I visit Canada, mind if I pop in for a *quick* portrait?
    Sure...see you at the session Blue

Thanks so much Stawastawa

I'm glad to see you will be learning wetplate collodion from Quinn Jacobson. He's about the best teacher available. I've known him a long time.

I am not as experienced a photographer as I am an astronomer, but I know a bit about lenses. I've bought and sold hundreds, made several of my own scopes, and have used some with amazing amounts of grunge, chips, and wear. From the photo of the Nikkor lens, I cannot see the very minor flaws having any effect on images at all.

Your project is inspiring and so cool. When I read that the Nikkor had an issue, I inwardly cringed for you, figuring you had to go for it since they're so rare. But then I saw the photo and smiled for you: in my opinion, the only thing the slight issue did was -- possibly -- keep lens purists away, or, just maybe, bids down a bit. When you finish the project and want to sell the lens, I think you are completely correct. What you will have done with it can only increase its value.

I wish you great luck on this, and have been following your progress. As a newbie to LF who is just about to embark on my first trip with a 5x7, I just want to say, Wow!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I'm glad to see you will be learning wetplate collodion from Quinn Jacobson. He's about the best teacher available. I've known him a long time.
    Goamules, yes I have studied Quinn's YouTube vids, and have his books. My hope is to take a mammoth wet plate workshop with him. I did take a previous basic workshop in Victoria Canada a few years back but my wet plate knowledge is limited. Will improve that over the next few years. I have a 6 month trip to Thailand planned, need to do that first, will get into wet plate heavy on my return in 2018. Also hope to learn some from Ian Ruhter (not sure if he does workshops), Borut Peterlin, and Kurt Moser. There are a lot of high end working wetplaters out there now so the learning should be faster than in the past.
    Last edited by gerry yaum; 1-Jul-2017 at 01:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinzer View Post
    I am not as experienced a photographer as I am an astronomer, but I know a bit about lenses. I've bought and sold hundreds, made several of my own scopes, and have used some with amazing amounts of grunge, chips, and wear. From the photo of the Nikkor lens, I cannot see the very minor flaws having any effect on images at all.

Your project is inspiring and so cool. When I read that the Nikkor had an issue, I inwardly cringed for you, figuring you had to go for it since they're so rare. But then I saw the photo and smiled for you: in my opinion, the only thing the slight issue did was -- possibly -- keep lens purists away, or, just maybe, bids down a bit. When you finish the project and want to sell the lens, I think you are completely correct. What you will have done with it can only increase its value.

I wish you great luck on this, and have been following your progress. As a newbie to LF who is just about to embark on my first trip with a 5x7, I just want to say, Wow!

Paul
    Thanks so much Paul. I should get the lens sometime next week Wednesday to Friday. Will have a good look at it then. I think it should be ok, only minor marks. I was told that one of these lens probably a mint version sold for 16000 Euros a few years back, my price was $3857 USD (plus shipping, taxes, duty on my end) so quite a bit cheaper. There were 4 other bidders in the last 10 seconds of the auction, so plenty of interest. My guess is I can use the lens for my project, 10-15 years then sell it again for the same price or more. Not sure how you can lose with a purchase like this. I am sort of renting the lens to chase down some dreams and then getting most if not all of my money back later. Hopefully as you wrote, the value will go up. The dream is always to create great work, heck maybe the lens/camera will end up in a museum some day beside the ambrotypes, we have to remain optimistic and hopeful, right!!! Lets do that, lets assume the best!

Thanks for your good wishes and good look with your 5x7, I love the dimensions of that camera (just like a 35mm neg). Here is mine in Thai, in a garbage dump where I was making pictures, and where I return soon. Linhof 5x7 with 210mm lens (also used a 120mm)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinzer View Post

Paul
    Thanks so much Paul. I should get the lens sometime next week Wednesday to Friday. Will have a good look at it then. I think it should be ok, only minor marks. I was told that one of these lens probably a mint version sold for 16000 Eros a fe years back, my price was $3857 USD (plus shipping, taxes, duty on my end) so quite a bit cheaper. There were 4 other bidders in the last 10 seconds of the auction, so plenty of interest. My guess is I can use the lens for my project, 10-15 years then sell it again for the same price or more. Not sure how you can lose with a purchase like this. I am sort of renting the lens to chase down some dreams and then getting most if not all of my money back later. Hopefully as you wrote, the value will go up. The dream is always to create great work, heck maybe the lens/camera will end up in a museum some day beside the ambrotypes, we have to remain optimistic and hopeful, right!!! Lets do that, lets assume the best!

Thanks for your good wishes and good look with your 5x7, I love the dimensions of that camera. Here is mine in Thai, in a garbage dump where I was making pictures, and where I return soon. Linhof 5x7 with 210mm lens (also used a 120mm). The hats the kids wear at the end of the video were donated by the people I work with in Canada,