Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Giclee my Schmicklee !

Giclee my Schmicklee !

Kirk,

What's "green developer?"

Thanks...

Giclee my Schmicklee !

The unspoken truth among us is that fine art is one part craftsmanship and nine parts blarney. Or perhaps “salesmanship” would be more p-c.

In art school, attempting to put our work in the best possible light for the instructor in the classroom, this was known as “saving it on the crit board”.

In Phil Cohen’s class one day, a student spent a great deal of time explaining in exquisite technical detail how he had made a rather dismal photograph using many multiple exposures through a wide variety of different filters. After his exhaustive explanation, Phil (totally unimpressed) calmly suggested that the same result could be achieved by spitting on the lens.

This giclee appellation is simply another example of the phenomenon, IMO.

Giclee my Schmicklee !

Paul,

No kidding?! I always thought the term meant 'snootty'. Live and learn.

I think I'll switch to mentioning that giclee is French slang for ejaculation. Much more offensive. I love to piss off 'artistes'.

Giclee my Schmicklee !

Scott,

I'm glad to hear that the buffalos didn't do you in!

Is Giclee pronounced "Glicky", "Glickly" or "Gly-cee"? I never could figure that one out. I did talk to a gallery owner in Carmel once who told me that if I were to send her a portfolio for review the prints would have to be "Gly-cees" since thats what is selling these days. Another gallery down the street only sold "silver gelatin" prints which strikes me as referring to Jello contaminated by heavy metals.

I think these terms have more to do with marketing than anything else. I love making traditional silver prints and I'm learning about alternative processes too, but I'd rather sell a print because the buyer sees something in the content that deeply matters to them rather than because the technique used to produce it is fashionable.

I used to deal with an art gallery comprised of members a long time ago. I learned that artists are a bit like your buffalos---it is best not to provoke them since they are unpredictable on the best of days. Let your pals wax about glickys, glicklys, or gly-cees (if the excess verbage gets them an extra few bucks a print then good for them!) if it makes them happy then go home and do your own thing. My 2-cents.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Giclee my Schmicklee !

I thought it was named after that really bad Jennifer Lopez/Ben Affleck movie...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Giclee my Schmicklee !

And why shouldn't we differentiate between a silver print, or cibichrome or Ink jet? As I got sucked into another year of buying my daughters soocer team print for $30. It is washed out before I have even framed it! I am tired of it. I respect all of your hard work! I can only imagine the time you put into learning photo shop and the hard work you have done to make these digital prints. NO DISRESPECT! I have thought about doing it myself. All I can say is I am so glad I brought my 35mm the day of the photo session before her last game. That was only 3 weeks ago by the way. I do not have money to buy fine art. I have spent more on framing then most of the prints hanging on my wall. I have spent $150+- about 10 years ago for a print. If I knew that a print of the same value that I liked was ink jet, or what ever P.C. title you want to give it, I would not buy it. I have had too many not survive 6 months let alone 50 years. As I explain this to one of the other parents my daughter has now lost her best friend, she can no longer sleep at her house, or visa-versa. Why? Because I insulted their neighbor and friend who was the photographer who does "great work". I never said his work wasn't any good. I said the prints don't last. And I have not bought one yet that has. Three years in a row with two daughters, one with horse riding camp pictures and the other with soocer. Google my post you will see the one i wrote last year or the year before. I am sorry but if you do not differentiate then there must be a reason?
    Please, Please, Please,

With Great Respect, and no harm intended,

Giclee my Schmicklee !

I believe it's pronounced, "szhee-clay"

Does anybody know what 'hoidy toidy' means? I've always wanted to know....

Giclee my Schmicklee !

hoity-toity

hoi·ty-toi·ty (hoi”t¶-toi“t¶) adj. 1. Pretentiously self-important; pompous. 2. Given to frivolity or silliness. [From reduplication of dialectal hoit, to rompAkin to perhaps akin to hoyden.]

1. Overly convinced of one's own superiority and importance:
    a. proud
    b. superior
    c. lofty
    d. presumptuous
    e. arrogant
    f. disdainful
    g. haughty
    h. insolent
    i. lordly
    j. overbearing
    k. supercilious
    l. high-and-mighty
    m. overweening

Well said John, and several others. If someone sells a photographic print and it's really an inkjet (by any other name), they are simply committing fraud!!!

pho·to·graph (f½“t…-gr²f”) n. Abbr. photog. 1. An image, especially a positive print, recorded by a camera and reproduced on a photosensitive surface

It is a common assumption that people take for granted. Anything sold as a photograph that is not, is fraud!

Giclee my Schmicklee !

When my daughter finished at the London Art School I asked he what she had learned that impressed her most, she replied, " One can slide further on bull **** than on dry a dry a***"

Giclee my Schmicklee !

"I think I'll switch to mentioning that giclee is French slang for ejaculation. Much more offensive. I love to piss off 'artistes'."

Scott-

I remember the other slang the French have used the term giclee - a term used when a tom cat sprays to mark its territory. I only bring it up because it seems relevant to the way the art community appears to treat one another and others. And if you want to "piss off" the art community, the true uses of the term giclee is appropriate on so many levels...

Doug