Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Giclee my Schmicklee !

Giclee my Schmicklee !

He is also calling them "Archival Carbon Prints."

Giclee my Schmicklee !

Jorge, Robert,
    I completely agree with you in this case. These claims are total nonsence and fraudulent and I sent him an email to that effect. In a better world this guy would be fed to the bears and snakes of the other thread.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Giclee my Schmicklee !

Agreed Kirk, but I think this is a symptom and the reason many of us doing traiditonal processes have some antagonism against people doing ink jet prints. I remember about a couple of years back in Photo Techniques when it became in vogue to call them carbon pigment prints there was a Dubovoy (sp?) guy offering carbon prints that took a month to make, let me tell you I was ready to jump on this but the price made me read the copy very carefuly, I could not beleive someone doing tri color carbon prints would sell them for $79 in the magazine. Well as it turned out and after some very careful reading it became clear these were ink jet prints. IMO this was intentional misrepresentation as the copy did not clearly state these were ink jet prints.

In the article above about the glicèe name, one guy is doing "platinum glicèe"....sorry, but as a REAL pt/pd printer I am offended by this misrepresentation. Now, people who do not know the difference will buy one of these prints and call them platinum prints....and that, is just plain wrong IMO.

Giclee my Schmicklee !

I think the name should reflect the material used. An emulsion is an emulsion, an ink is an ink. And while I agree that the "silver gelatin print" is nothing more than a photograph-remember, them, at least it is an honest description. There is no denying the genius behind inkjet printing; it is one of the great thresholds in all of imaging history.

Silver gelatin PRINT - light sensitive emulsion type

Gum bichromate PRINT - light sensitive emulsion type

Cyanotype PRINT - light sensitive emulsion type

Platinum PRINT - light sensitive emulsion type

Albumen PRINT - light sensitive emulsion type

Cibachrome PRINT - light sensitive emulsion type

Pigment ink PRINT - inkjet

Dye ink PRINT - inkjet

Photogravure PRINT - light sensitive emulsion originated process with mechanical or hand printing

Lithograph PRINT - stone, almuninum or paper plate process, photo or non-photo, with mechanical or hand printing

Words like archival, carbon become meaningless to me. A poorly processed Silver gelatin print can deteriorate more quickly than many dye ink inkjet prints.

Giclee my Schmicklee !

My 0,02 French-Euro.
    "giclée" is definitely unknow to me in the French terminology for digital photographic prints. "tirages jet d'encre" or "tirages numériques" are in use.
    So let's consider it as a pure invention ;-);-) or a registered trade mark : giclee® ; sounds like a brand name of cosmetics and perfumes, evokes the Eiffel Tower and Paris fashion ;-)

But we French are experts in forging English-sounding words. And not only for marketing purposes. The rules are simple. Take any word, preferably something not in use in the English-speaking world, and add "-ing", "-man" or "-'s" at the end.
    Ever heard about : caméraman, aquaplaning, camping-car, chez Bébert's ?

Giclee my Schmicklee !

Well, if it's looking like there's need for a new pretentious name to replace "giclee" how about this?

I did a Google search for word translators & entered "inkjet." Most languages came back as "inkjet", but the German returned as "Tintenstrahl."

Could this one have legs?

Giclee my Schmicklee !

Scott;
    If you really want to lose friends try calling that inkjet your looking at a "photo-copy". I did this at the L/F conference a month ago. The photographer started to choke. I said, "Well, that's what it really is".

The truth, you can't handle the truth.

BTW, I only have about 4 friends but my dog loves me.

Giclee my Schmicklee !

My Momma says she loves me, but
    she could be lying too.
    -- BB King

Jim, are you *sure* that your dog loves you? ;-)

All prints, *ALL* prints, are prints. The original photograph, is either the film, or the digital capture. No one sells those. What we sell, are prints.

If it's an image I like and can afford, I might buy a print. I've never turned down an image I really liked because of the technology. Conversely, I've never bought an image I didn't like, just because I liked the technology.

Y'all should to get over your anger about naming things. Instead, channel that anger into action; get out there and make some photographs. This continual "mine is better than yours" argument is entertaining, yes, but it's also pointless. Get over it and move on.

Bruce Watson

Giclee my Schmicklee !

"Words like archival, carbon become meaningless to me."

When dealing with Carbon lets not forget that Carbon Prints are a hand done process. They are not inkjet inksets. The inkjet guys need to get another name for their stuff to be honest with the public.

Giclee my Schmicklee !

Jim,

I have one friend but my three dogs love me.

All,

Has anyone ever done archival tests on lightjet and chromira prints? How'd they hold up?