Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

The Sinar Norma will make you proud. Have used Norma's since the early 1980s and continue to just love them. Actually prefer them over P's. Advice is to get the original IB or copy of it. Also a copy of their Norma era product catalogue to understand the accessories made for them. Somewhere on the WEB is a write-up on servicing them and keeping them "in tune". If you work on your camera, just don't over tighten or force anything. Lastly I recommend not buying Sinar lens board rip-offs... they are junk. Used drilled OEM boards are easy to find. I've even come across over the past few years and bought 3 un-drilled OEM Norma lens boards for reasonable prices, they're out there....
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by prestonedavis View Post
    I wish I knew enough about LF and LF lenses to say I understand what you're saying about the 370, but I don't. Are in some way referring to the lens that comes with the set up I just bought? Please enlighten me a bit more about what I'm getting as well as this conversion you speak of.

And yes, that Takumar 105 is a god-lens.
    Your symmar says in the front 210mm 5.6 in white, but also says 370mm f/12 in green.
    210mm 5.6 is the normal configuration. If you unscreew the front cell of the lens you have a 370mm f/12. Diafragm has two scales, one in white and the other in green, one for each configuration.

Convertiible lenses have fromt and/or rear cell corrected independently, so you can split the lens in 2 halves, and each half can be used alone, with less performance than what the whole lens has,
    but still usable.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Your symmar says in the front 210mm 5.6 in white, but also says 370mm f/12 in green.
    210mm 5.6 is the normal configuration. If you unscreew the front cell of the lens you have a 370mm f/12. Diafragm has two scales, one in white and the other in green, one for each configuration.

Convertiible lenses have fromt and/or rear cell corrected independently, so you can split the lens in 2 halves, and each half can be used alone, with less performance than what the whole lens has,
    but still usable.

regards
    Ah, thanks for the explanation. I had no idea such lenses existed.

I sure like my Norma system. It's really a precision instrument. Given that it came with a lens, you got an excellent price I think.

If you encounter any difficulty raising or lowering the rear or front frames, the risers (vertical rails), might need some adjustment. If the camera has been at all bent, bumped, etc., the risersl can easily get out of alignment and need adjustment. I had this problem, and Dave at Advance Camera (Beaverton Ore.) did an excellent job straightening them.

Sinar made some great accessories for the Norma; it's fun perusing EBay for Sinar equipment.

You got an excellent price for just the lens and camera. The Beattie screen is an added bonus. I had a Beattie on a Hasselblad 500cm and it made a world of difference. Much, much brighter than the original screen. Of course that was a 500cm but a Beattie still should be brighter on a Norma than the original ground glass.

Enjoy, you got a great deal on a wonderful camera!

I purchased a new 4x5 Norma system in 1969. I think this was the last year they were made. Anyway I used it heavily as a commercial photographer until digital became the standard and still use it on occasion. I couldn't even guess how many thousands of sheets of film Ive put through it and it looks almost new and functions as new.

I located my receipt from when I purchased it and found the original manual, Sinar lapel pin and container of grease to lube the rack and pinioned. I paid just over $360 new for the body and standard tapered bellows. I can't remember the price on the other items but added all the components to make it an expert set.

Wonderful set, enjoy and make great images.

Far more than just a Sinar Norma, it is a Sinar system.

What makes the Sinar special is the ability of this camera system to be expanded, updated, combined, configured in ways few other view camera systems can equal. Sinar is more of a image making problem solver than just a view camera.

The Norma is compact, lightweight, made with Swiss precision and remarkable durability. Usable in the field and equally suited in a studio or on location set up. There are very few negatives and many advantages to a Norma.

If the bellows is worn with light leaks, any current Sinar bellows will fit direct, Horseman L series bellows will also fit. Do use genuine Sinar lens boards or aftermarket lens boards of proven high quality. Consider adding a Sinar shutter if there is an interest with using barrel or lenses with no shutter. It solves this problem very nicely.

As for the Fresnel, preference is the original Sinar ground glass with no fresnel. Fresnel or similar "brighter" add ons can result in focusing problems with wide angle lenses. They also limit viewing angle which IMO, is not a good thing. It takes time, much practice and growing into seeing the world via ground glass upside down.

Bernice

The Norma is a wonderful machine! Apart from damaged spirit levels (easily replaced by cheap non-original ones), the only common problem is corrosion (best described as powdery/fluffy) on the cast rear green standard. This doesn't influence the strength and a wire brush will do wonders.

There appears to be quite a big difference in price levels of Sinar sets in the EU compared with North America. The decommisioning of analogue studio sets meant that they have been low priced during the past 15 years. Things are changing a little now, but as recently as two years ago, I bought a 4x5 with standard lenses and the sinar/copal shutter for 200 usd. The advantages of the later is that a whole range of lenses without shutters can be used.

The lens that came with the set was fairly standard for early Normas and is just about as good as later lenses with lots of fancy names! There is a serial number on the front standard (I think?) which will give the date of production, although some cameras may be from a different period as the system is so modular in its construction.

I found an 8x10 Norma on consignment years ago with a ton of accessories at a good price. I love it - and you will if you appreciate fine, fine engineering and craftsmanship. If you don't, it's never too late to learn, and Norma will be a good teacher.

Not to mention that it's really fun to use.

I'm envious of your Beattie. I have a fresnel that I loved to use on it. It's somewhere...

Enjoy!!!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

You folks have me really excited about this new photography journey I'm taking on. All this input is very much appreciated!
    Last edited by prestonedavis; 18-Jun-2017 at 15:09.