Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black and White Duplicate Negative

Red face Re: Black and White Duplicate Negative

[QUOTE=jnanian;1394054]hi bill

i set the bar low so i am always happy

I just love this quote, such a wise point of view.
    Think I'll get it printed on a T-shirt.

Robert

Goldman

Re: Black and White Duplicate Negative

John, Thanks for the perfect explanation.

Bill

multiplex

bill and robert

glad i could help

Coping on Litho, X-ray and such contrast films is a bit complicate and needs to work a lot with loses of film, different developers, time... You need a big patience and finally acceptable results will come. However special purpose film exists, which has wide tonality, very fine granularity and is very easy to work with under safe red light (you can control developing process on all stages). People uses it also for direct photographic process too successfully. Just google: Agfa Avitone P3p Orthochromatic BW film and you find it with appropriate instructions in different size options.

Drew Wiley

It's easy. Contact your original shot emulsion to emulsion to your interpositive, which you should slightly overexpose but under-develop. Then generate your printing dupe developed to normal contrast. I like to use FP4 for both steps. I just pulled a new shot from the film washer a few minutes ago which I want to print reverse-tonality, so plan to make a normal-contrast contact interpositive from it.

Quote Originally Posted by gudageo View Post
    Coping on Litho, X-ray and such contrast films is a bit complicate and needs to work a lot with loses of film, different developers, time... You need a big patience and finally acceptable results will come. However special purpose film exists, which has wide tonality, very fine granularity and is very easy to work with under safe red light (you can control developing process on all stages). People uses it also for direct photographic process too successfully. Just google: Agfa Avitone P3p Orthochromatic BW film and you find it with appropriate instructions in different size options.
    THANKS for the tip!!

Goldman

I read the PDF info and it seems to be a great way to make the black and white duplicate. Do you know who have this film for sale in North America?

Thanks
    Bill

hacker extraordinaire

I have always heard that repeat duping increases contrast. Why? Since film is normally developed to .5 or .6 contrast, I would expect duping to decrease contrast since 0.5*0.5<1. What am I missing?
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldman View Post
    I read the PDF info and it seems to be a great way to make the black and white duplicate. Do you know who have this film for sale in North America?

Thanks
    Bill
    I am almost sure that nobody have. I have this film listed on ebay during last year and never seen other selling in the net. Excuse me, if informing of the people about my commercial interest does not seems honest, but interest is mutual as I see. This type of film is discontinued and information is very pure. I sell them trimmed and packed in 4x5 and 8x10 formats from original 10x10 in. boxes. I have sold a lot of film until today and buyers like them - you can judge from feedback yourself.
    ...And sorry for my English
    Last edited by gudageo; 3-Jul-2017 at 10:15.

SO-132 is long [decades]gone. Xray dupe is available, as noted above. It is a lot slower than SO-132.
    I have used XRD to enlarge negs by projection.
    Exposure times under a Beseler 8x10 cold light are long, but dodging and burning is poosible.
    Contrast may be 'controlled' [ that is, with a lot of experimentation] by varying exposure and development time.
    I have used the interneg process to dupe old negs that have yellow, well goobers is the best term- not just a stain.
    First make a positive on a pancromatic film. Then make the new neg on ortho or pan.
    Continuous tone ortho is nice because it can be worked with under the safelight, pan needs total dark
    Hi contrast ortho is only a PITA for this use onnacounta it raises contrast or is very tricky to avoid same.