Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Advice regarding field camera capabilities

Re: Advice regarding field camera capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    With a longer than normal lens, frequently used for portraits, in a close-up situation focusing with the front changes the lens to subject distance significantly and you may find it difficult or impossible to focus quickly and accurately.
    Maybe I am missing something, but I still don't see the problem focusing with the front standard -- I have no problem focusing this way with a 210 mm lens and the subject about 5 to 7 feet away, for example.

I haven't read all of the replies but, I keep thinking "Sinar F-2"........light weight with the movements needed.

Quote Originally Posted by DG 3313 View Post
    I haven't read all of the replies but, I keep thinking "Sinar F-2"........light weight with the movements needed.
    I have owned a Sinar F, a Wista Field, and a Canham DLC. Both the Wista and the Canham, which are true field cameras, are lighter and significantly easier to pack and carry than the Sinar. The Sinar, as a monorail and part of the extensive Sonar system, has its own virtues, but that is not what the OP has asked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I have, and use, Crown Graphic, Super Graphic, Busch D, and Techinka IV. None of them is really suitable, hand-held, for the raised back/dropped front situation you describe. Since a tripod will be required, you might just as well keep what you've already got.
    Thank you for your thought. Hand-holding any 4x5 is not something I have mentioned or envision; 35 is an old friend, my 645 is, for me, tripod land already, for the most part. I only indicated that my stalwart but weighty 3051 tripod is more than needed to support a lighter view camera, such as I have in mind, and that the 3021 will fill the bill nicely at a reasonable price used. I have been around a few years now, and hauling the equipment I used to is no longer something to which I look forward. Eventually I may end up with just the 645, whose image ratio is nearly the same as 4x5 -- perfect for my kind of portrait -- and grain in an 11x14, even with HP5, doesn't trouble me. But the movements of 4x5 and the quality is offers continue to draw me to it. For me, at this point, a field camera and lighter tripod are the ticket.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Thank you for your thought. Hand-holding any 4x5 is not something I have mentioned or envision; 35 is an old friend, my 645 is, for me, tripod land already, for the most part. I only indicated that my stalwart but weighty 3051 tripod is more than needed to support a lighter view camera, such as I have in mind, and that the 3021 will fill the bill nicely at a reasonable price used. I have been around a few years now, and hauling the equipment I used to is no longer something to which I look forward. Eventually I may end up with just the 645, whose image ratio is nearly the same as 4x5 -- perfect for my kind of portrait -- and grain in an 11x14, even with HP5, doesn't trouble me. But the movements of 4x5 and the quality is offers continue to draw me to it. For me, at this point, a field camera and lighter tripod are the ticket.
    The grass is always greener....
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    The grass is always greener....
    With Velvia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    With Velvia.

Understand why the Technika isn't at the top of your list, but it has an additional tripod socket on the top of the body (under the "flash" shoe) so you can mount it upside down and get geared front fall. Very clever. Not light, not inexpensive, but very clever design.
    Last edited by Jim Andrada; 6-Jun-2017 at 19:22.

A nice little folding field 4x5 is the Horseman Woodman. Simple (no back rise/fall), sweet, and 3.2 pounds but a limited bellows draw of 12.4 inches. I checked out a couple to our students. We also had a Tachihara and a Shen-Hao...and I have to admit that the Tachihara was prettier, the Shen-Hao fully featured, but the Woodman was a pleasure to use.

Unfortunately, they seem to be going for as much used as they did new many years ago.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Curiosity only - what is it (apart from a camera)
    regards
    Tony