Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Print Reproduction for High Quality Viewing

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Print Reproduction for High Quality Viewing

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I'd get a real camera and not a juvenile's setup:

http://toyoview.com/Products/VX23D/23D.html

Thomas
    Just out of curiosity I checked the used prices and B&H current has a "DEMO" for under $1,000: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._2x3_view.html

They close today for a few days at 2PM Eastern. So if you're going to move on a professional set-up at a good price, now is the time!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    One of the AIS Micro Nikkors will do the job nicely - far easier to use in a copying environment than any AF lens in my experience. The classic 55/2.8 is a pretty good bargain - & rather amazingly still available new for USD400-ish I recall. It'll work on the D8xx cameras without any problems - live view is your friend...

Another thought might be an older Phase One/ Leaf back & the relevant camera setup - I recall that the older 30-40mp backs are under USD5k used these days.
    I have thought about the Phase One as a possibility, What I am trying to achieve is a digital file for Website and Proposal Purposes that the viewer can actually see the nuances of
    the prints I am making... I need to do this as an ongoing matter as I am printing Alternative Prints more than ever. The original is too hard to Mimic in PS and for example if I make three
    versions of a single image and put them up for sale, I want the viewer to distinctly see the differences (and there always is) between the three images and decide which one to pick.

I am not afraid of the image being stolen or used as a lot of my clients are good lawyers , and can be helpful.

When you go to a decent gallery website any where in the world and look at the images they are really good and this is what I am trying to achieve with this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have thought about the Phase One as a possibility, What I am trying to achieve is a digital file for Website and Proposal Purposes that the viewer can actually see the nuances of
    the prints I am making... I need to do this as an ongoing matter as I am printing Alternative Prints more than ever. The original is too hard to Mimic in PS and for example if I make three
    versions of a single image and put them up for sale, I want the viewer to distinctly see the differences (and there always is) between the three images and decide which one to pick.

I am not afraid of the image being stolen or used as a lot of my clients are good lawyers , and can be helpful.

When you go to a decent gallery website any where in the world and look at the images they are really good and this is what I am trying to achieve with this setup.
    Or there's the Pentax 645D which might be worth considering - I recall seeing them in the USD4k range recently for the body - lots of lenses for them floating around.

The Phase iXG/ iXR repro system is something I've started to look at, but mostly because I've been getting more involved in repro & duo/ tritone separation work for books & have been running into the same sort of scanner issues. The price is likely to be astronomical however.

bob wrote
    "What I am really looking for is a used camera that has semi high resolution capablities and the right lens for that camera.. I am a big fan of mirror up and prime lenses. I have never owned a digital camera only analoque so I would like recomondations on camera and lens if possible."

I can speak from personal experience having used both the items I recommend below.

here it is:

Mirror-up
    manual focus with magnified on-screen display (focus point zoom)
    21MP
    100mm f2.8 macro manual focus prime lens

Canon 5Dmk2 $750 with battery, charger and 14 day return on ebay.com 192201630728

Canon EF 100mm f2.8 $305 OBO on ebay.com 162426156231

enter the ebay number in the ebay search field

both ship to Canada

I am relatively new to digital cameras also, there is a lot to take in, allow time for the "learning curve", the nice thing is that exposures made for practice are free :-)

Thanks Ted this looks like a nice setup to consider , it hits all my points.

great thread; thanks to all of you from a digital novice!!
    Peter

What size images are you interested in posting on a website or using in the proposals? What is the setup you are using now that you are dissatisfied with?

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    What size images are you interested in posting on a website or using in the proposals? What is the setup you are using now that you are dissatisfied with?
    my scanner is too small for the size of prints I am making. I do not own YET a digital camera so I can do copy work. I want the images to open clean and crisp for viewers to see.

I'm familiar with the Nikon equipment.. A used d800e/d810/d610 with a 55 macro lens or 60mm macro lens would do very nicely with a copy stand.
    Shoot raw. Shouldn't be much distortion with a Nikon macro lens, LR will have a distortion profile for it should any fine tuning of barrel distortion or fringing and can correct the white balance real easily; you can copy and paste a white balance correction you made from a target photo to other photos or make it part of an auto-import preset for photos being imported into the software.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I'm familiar with the Nikon equipment.. A used d800e/d810/d610 with a 55 macro lens or 60mm macro lens would do very nicely with a copy stand.
    Shoot raw. Shouldn't be much distortion with a Nikon macro lens, LR will have a distortion profile for it should any fine tuning of barrel distortion or fringing and can correct the white balance real easily; you can copy and paste a white balance correction you made from a target photo to other photos or make it part of an auto-import preset for photos being imported into the software.
    Thanks- lucky for me I have a lot of talented photographers around me that when I get the set up will fine tune the colour checker and white balance, I think I will have fun with this.