Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Print Reproduction for High Quality Viewing

Re: Print Reproduction for High Quality Viewing

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    Question:

Bob, are you planning to use this Camera on a Copy Stand (Vertical) or on a Tripod (Horizontal)?

At the Image Magnifications cited above...
    This decision will also help you to determine your best choice of 'Lens F.L.' -- For the proper 'Working Distance'.
    --
    Thank-you! Regards,

-Tim.
    _________
    Tim

I think Vertical but that could change in my new and final space.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    What Tim said. The best of the 100-105mm macros are superb lenses, but unless you've got a monstrous copy stand or are working at some distance from wall-mounted subjects, they'll be too long for the largest works you want to copy. Actually, if you go with a full-frame 35mm format, it may pay off in convenience and production efficiency to invest in two macro lenses - one in the 50-60mm range, the other 100-105 ...
    Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Tim, I think Vertical but that could change in my new and final space.
    Excellent.

If 'Vertical' for now...
    You now know what Lens F.L. you should be looking for (50-60mm) to start.
    --
    As Oren so eloquently stated...
    "The 100-105mm Macro Lenses will be too long for the largest works -- That you want to copy."

Thank-you!

Thank you all for the advice , I will chew on this and report back when I make my moves.

The 5DIII has come down a lot in price new since the IV was announced which is why I got one. And the newer Zeiss lenses are superb if you don't mind manual focus.

Heck - it's probably hard to get a modern digicam that isn't better than what one needs for the Web. I think now a good used 5DII or even the original 5D is really inexpensive, so the money can go for the glass. Same should be true for Nikon.

My complaint (if any) with the 5DIII is that it doesn't support interchangeable focusing screens. but I use an external electronic viewfinder attached to the HDMI port for critical focus anyhow. That should make use of a vertical copy stand easier - you can position the EVF anywhere that makes sense regardless of the height of the camera and utilize the magnification feature of the camera to help with focus. Or tether the camera to your PC/Mac, but I already had the EVF for my video cams.

Just shoot tethered via Capture 1.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    My complaint (if any) with the 5DIII is that it doesn't support interchangeable focusing screens. but I use an external electronic viewfinder attached to the HDMI port for critical focus anyhow. That should make use of a vertical copy stand easier - you can position the EVF anywhere that makes sense regardless of the height of the camera and utilize the magnification feature of the camera to help with focus. Or tether the camera to your PC/Mac, but I already had the EVF for my video cams.
    In the same vein, for most work on my vertical, table-top copy stand I use my EOS 60D rather than my EOS 6D, because the 60D's swivel-screen LCD can be twisted around to a comfortable viewing orientation regardless of how far the camera is elevated on the column. I don't use the swivel feature at all otherwise, but on the stand it's a neck-and-back-saver - no need to strain muscles by twisting myself into awkward positions to get a good view for framing and focusing.

If I were doing high-volume production copy work for professional purposes I would certainly consider a tethered setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Just shoot tethered via Capture 1.
    I was thinking exactly this .

Canon DSLR cameras (like the 5Dmk2 and later) include this facility using the free Canon EOS Utility software.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted R View Post
    Canon DSLR cameras (like the 5Dmk2 and later) include this facility using the free Canon EOS Utility software.
    In my experience that can certainly work, but it's often flaky, as in it'll lose connection and have to be restarted. Capture One does tethering really well.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Capture 1 may do tethering really well, but it doesn't seem to do installing quite as well. I decided to give it a try and it (or some driver that it installed) made a huge mess of my Win 7 system that took half the day to get right again. Having said that it's finally running and looks quite good.
    Last edited by Jim Andrada; 3-Jun-2017 at 17:01. Reason: Clarify it was a Capture 1 problem