Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega NE?

Re: Omega NE?

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post

What does your LED system look like? As for the height, it's definitely tall, but not so tall I won't be able to reach, as least so far. Looks like with this lens the max size is 3X.
    Unfortunately I didn't make pics during the mod. All the pics I have were posted in the thread I linked in post #4. The mod, as described in that thread, amounted to 12 LEDs mounted on the bottom of a finned aluminum plate in a 3x4 arrangement with two diffuser sheets below it. The finned part was overkill for heat dissipation (was not really necessary. The use of two diffusers was also overkill, but one of them can be easily removed to gain about one stop of output if necessary for large prints. The details of the mod are fairly well described in the text of that thread.

Ah, thank you for pointing that out. I was reading and replying on my phone, and I missed your link. I think I might be able to do something similar - I don't have the saucer but I do have a wood shop. Thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Well...I bought it. I am thinking I'm going to need to convert this head to LED or something, because these bulbs are blue.
    Aristo recommended using a 40CC Yellow filter for use with VC papers and their older blue bulbs. You can always bry that before you spend the effort for an LED head. If you do keep the Coldlight head, you may want to add a compensating timer with a sensor. Are those bulbs even still available? Good luck. L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Aristo recommended using a 40CC Yellow filter for use with VC papers and their older blue bulbs. You can always try that before you spend the effort for an LED head. If you do keep the Coldlight head, you may want to add a compensating timer with a sensor. Are those bulbs even still available? Good luck. L
    I have a set of replacement bulbs. From what I can tell, the size bulb might still exist, but it's going to be something other than "blue" which is what these are stamped. There is an under the lens electronic shutter and the bulbs just stay on all the time. The documentation mentions swapping them for 25w incandescent, but I have no idea what that would mean since the fixture inside is clearly for fluorescent bulbs only. Since the opal glass is still there, I may try building a wooden box to fit an LED light source if I can find good plans -- and that way maybe I can build in a filter tray as well to avoid going under-lens.

You can also find a used Aristo 5x7 or the correct size head. Airsto has a lot of their info in their archives and are accessible on line. They're pretty much indestructible. I may even have an extra one I can send you to try out. It's pretty old, but still works! If you use a coldlight head, I would consider putting a sensor and using either a Metrolux or a Zone VI sensor. L

Eric Biggerstaff

The E series enlargers are great but not very numerous so parts can be a challenge. My LED head was made for me by Modern Enlarger Lamps and is terrific but is no longer available. I believe "metalsmith" purchased my second one and if so, I am happy to know it is working well for him (super nice person by the way). There are a couple of threads on home built LED heads that would likely be a good option.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

You can also find a used Aristo 5x7 or the correct size head. Airsto has a lot of their info in their archives and are accessible on line. They're pretty much indestructible. I may even have an extra one I can send you to try out. It's pretty old, but still works! If you use a coldlight head, I would consider putting a sensor and using either a Metrolux or a Zone VI sensor. L
    I assume that would require a yellow filter too? I didn't think you could get Aristo bulbs like the V54 any longer.

You should still be able to purchase Aristo bulbs directly from the manufacturer:

http://www.light-sources.com/solutio...-lamps/page/2/

Not cheap, but at least available. These should all be the newer V54 bulbs. If using the older W45 bulbs, just add a CC40Y filter to it!

If you can't find 40 Y, you can always use a CC30&Y & CC15Y:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...er_Yellow.html
    Close enough! L

You should still be able to purchase Aristo bulbs directly from the manufacturer:

http://www.light-sources.com/solutio...-lamps/page/2/

Not cheap, but at least available. These should all be the newer V54 bulbs. If using the older W45 bulbs, just add a CC40Y filter to it!

If you can't find 40 Y, you can always use a CC30&Y & CC15Y:
    Close enough! L
    Thanks. I emailed them a while back about an Aristo replacement for my D2 cold head but never got a response. One thing I was thinking might work (If I could figure out how to get the correct color temp) was to bypass the ballast and put something like this into the original head. I also saw "daylight" and "warm" versions of fluorescent tubes that will fit.

I think calling works better. I'd try LCD Lighting in Orange CT, 203-795-1520. There is also more infor on the Forum, Search for Aristo.