Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wista 45n as my first 4x5?

Wista 45n as my first 4x5?

Hi there, some of you may know me from RFF... bu yea, I'm plannign on getting a wista 45n as my fst 4x5. Gonna shoot mostly landscapes, sometimes street. I was wondering if this is a good choice? I did think of getting a interpid before but changed my mind due to various reasons. Thanks

Re: Wista 45n as my first 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by jusxusfanatic View Post

I was wondering if this is a good choice? I did think of getting a interpid before but changed my mind due to various reasons. Thanks
    Yes.....actually no.....then again, maybe?......wait, no

Wista makes excellent cameras. One of them would be a fine choice for your first 4x5.

Camera Hacker

Justin,
    When you say you want to shoot "street" with a 4x5 camera, can you explain what you mean? I asked this over at RFF and you never gave an answer as to what you want to create with the LF camera regarding street photography.

Phil Forrest

I 'm not going to do street, gonna do landscapes with it

Hi,

Street photography with 4x5 sure is possible (see my flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/57493810@N00/) but the wista 45n would not be my camera of choice for that.
    The wista 4x5 is a fantastic metal camera equal to the linhof cameras but in my view as an urban LF photographer such a sturdy heavy camera is overkill. If i want to shoot with a tripod i use a shen hao ptb (chamonix 45 clone) wich saves a lot of weight. When i pack carbon tripod, 2lenses and 6 film holders I need to carry 8kg on my back wich is fairly light for what it is but gets tiring quickly. My advice for you is to get a good condition graflex with kalart rangefinder, learn to calibrate to your favorite lens and shoot that for handheld or tripod shooting. If you dont want to waste film with hanheld shooting id go for a very light field camera and invest in lenses with the money you save from not buying the wista.

Camera Hacker

Quote Originally Posted by jusxusfanatic View Post
    I 'm not going to do street, gonna do landscapes with it
    "Gonna shoot mostly landscapes, sometimes street."
    That is what you said in your first post here.

Phil Forrest

Think we're starting to see a pattern?

Don, Phil:
    When you have been a teenage boy, several decades ago I presume, did it make any sense to you when completely foreign persons were scrutinising and scolding YOUR (most likely: pubescent) behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Think we're starting to see a pattern?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
    "Gonna shoot mostly landscapes, sometimes street."
    That is what you said in your first post here.

Phil Forrest

Folks -

What happened at another forum is irrelevant here, with the one exception noted below. If a member's conduct here is generally within guidelines, and the member responds appropriately to resolve any issues that do arise, then there is no basis for raising trouble here. If a member violates guidelines here, there are proper channels for reporting and dealing with that.

The sole exception is that members may report, in the "Advisories" subforum only, about first-hand experience with purchase and sale transactions, subject to strict rules about how the experience is reported.

Vigilante harassment is never appropriate. If you think someone has violated Forum guidelines, please report it. If you don't want to answer someone's questions, for whatever reason, then just don't, and leave it at that.

Any further discussion of events relating to Justin at RFF will be deleted.