Hello Large Format Photographers,

I'm about to embark on my first LF adventure, and members here were very helpful with my first question about a tripod head, and so I thought I'd do the right thing and introduce myself.

I've been photographing for ~4 1/2 years, first with a small DSLR and subsequently with DSLR/mirrorless digicams with old manual lenses (1930s-1980s). I started shooting film 3 years ago, first with 135, and then with 120 (on 6x6, 6x45 and 6x9 cameras). I was stunned by the depth and tonal detail in the MF negatives when compared to the 135 negatives. My shooting currently is probably 70:30 film:digital.

Recently a very good friend offered to donate his Sinar Norma 4x5 (with 90mm and 180mm lenses) to me. As I tend to shoot predominantly handheld, I was not sure about accepting his very generous offer. But then I decided that I would like to try shooting with a view camera - the slowness, precision, camera movements and large negative were factors that swayed me to accept. I'm scheduled to get my hands on the camera and shoot with it (under the guidance of my friend) this weekend, and I'm rather excited about it.

Thank you for reading this blurb (if you managed to get this far), and thanks in advance for answering any (probably basic and sometimes silly) questions I may come up with as I continue on my new large format adventure. Please feel free to say hello via this thread, email, or my website.

Thanks again, and all the best,
Raj
http://rajmohan-fotograf.com/