I've read a few posts here regarding acceptable tripods for 4x5, but none catered specifically to mountaineering where low weight is absolutely a necessity (if you're too tired to climb or climbing too slowly you have to turn back and wont get the shot).

I have been very "creative" over the past 1.5 years making a dolica proline work (it only 1.33 kg with ball-head but shakes like a leaf). However, with bigger and bigger objectives, I would like to be confident that camera shake will not be an issue.

I'm going to head to my local shop to test the suitability of various tripods. Your field tested opinions would be of great value in addition to the in-store testing.

My needs are:
A tripod + head kit that weighs between 1.4 - 1.8 kg.
A tripod with maximum height around 62" (would be nice to have the option to stand up and shoot when its safe).
A tripod that will not shake in 10-30 kph winds (in high winds I will be kneeling with little tripod extension)

My mountaineering kit:
Wista DX rosewood (2kg)
Nikkor-M 300mm f/9 (0.290kg)
Nikkor-M 200mm f/8 (0.18kg)
Fujinon SW 90mm f/8 (0.407)

With film holder and filters max weight on the tripod would be <3kg.

An example of a suitable design would be the Gitzo GT1532 series 1 Carbon Fiber. Would the series 1 legs be stable enough?
A cheaper alternative would also be nice.

Patrick