Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera store in Washington DC

Camera store in Washington DC

I have to give a talk in Washington DC on Tuesday - are there any good LF stores there? I will be right in DC, so I am looking for something I can get to with a cab.

Penn Camera ... the main store (on 6th NW if memory serves has most of th LF stuff

Pro Photo .. think that is the name on Pennsylvania NW & 20th

that is it right downtown

No.

BTW, Pro Photo moved to I Street, between 19th & 20th NW. It's the best in town, but is becoming digitalized just as fast as any other camera store. It has a lot of good medium format and Leica products in the used counter, but no LF stuff that I've seen.

PhotoPro in Kensington is probably your best bet, but I wouldn't want to go there in a cab from downtown DC. It's at the intersection of Connecticut Ave. and University Blvd. Mapquest will show you where that is in relation to downtown.

You'll be wasting your time at Penn.

Tautatis

Penn Camera is on E Street and 7th or 6th Street (Near the FBI Bldg or a block South of Spy Museum). If you are interested to buy large format film then Penn is convenient, but if you are looking for gear there is very limited supply (a few Toyos) occassionally there will be used LF gear, but nothing much in stock.

PhotoPro in Kensigton is also going through the digital transformation - I did speak to the owner a little while ago when they had a sale of camera stuff. Besides, Kensington, as someone mentioned is far from the District by Cab. The essiest way will be to take the Subway/Metro train to Wheaton, MD and catch a cab - you might want to call first to find out if what you want is still available on the shelves.

There is a store in Alexandria that I heard has a good inventory of LF stuff - search Google.

Adrian

I can't rtemember the name of the Alexandria store either but it is in the Industrial Park at the Edsall Road exit off of Shirley Highway (I 395). Good selection o fLF gear and a complete rental setup for LF gear ... or at least that is what they used to have the last time I was in there 7-8 years ago.

The bottom line is that there really isn't much in the way of large format in stores outside of New York, Chicago or LA. And in any city smaller than Washington or Baltimore there's nothing.

I certainly found that to be the case in DC today.

"The bottom line is that there really isn't much in the way of large format in stores outside of New York, Chicago or LA."

Except for Boston, Phoenix, San Francisco, Palo Alto, Atlanta, Columbus, Seattle, Albertson, Rochester, and a few other locations.

Went by Photopro in Kensington today. Basically gone except for a few rolls of film
    no real cameras or darkroom siupplies. Merged with a copying store.