Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF permitted at Greewood Cemetery Brooklyn?

LF permitted at Greewood Cemetery Brooklyn?

I was wondering if anyone had any experience shooting large format at Greewood Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY. On a recent trip there, the literature states no "professional" photography, i.e., stands or tripods are allowed. I was curious if anyone has tested this statement through personal experience. thanks.

Re: LF permitted at Greewood Cemetery Brooklyn?

Quote Originally Posted by Terence Falk View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience shooting large format at Greewood Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY. On a recent trip there, the literature states no "professional" photography, i.e., stands or tripods are allowed. I was curious if anyone has tested this statement through personal experience. thanks.
    All you can really do is to contact them and ask them... Tell them you are an amateur photographer/art student and you think the place is beautiful, and would love to take non-professional photos there, and might use a little tripod, and see what they say... If yes, try to get a pass, copy of an email, or letter so if someone questions you while shooting, you can show that to them... (Note the name of your contact...) It is often all that is needed to get approval... If they say no, you know the answer...

Steve K

Lachlan 717

Beg for forgiveness, don't ask for permission!!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Beg for forgiveness, don't ask for permission!!!
    Steve's old rule is "shoot 'till they throw you out", but I WAS held at gunpoint for about 20 mins. at the Hollywood Forever cemetery years ago by some old, crazy redneck caretaker (who only put the gun down after he asked me how old I thought he was, and I said 29, and he started laughing so hard that he thought I should be a politician!!!)

They won't hold you at gunpoint, but they can call the cops, etc, and you are on private property, so it's their rules...

You can go there on some Saturday with a hand held camera to scope out the situation, and see if you want to take a chance at LF... Make nice with the caretakers you see, and ask them after you have them laughing WITH you... Just don't wake anyone... ;-s

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 10-Apr-2017 at 20:25.

Don't know about the cemetery but the Brooklyn botanical garden has a guard cruising there the whole day to grab such people as those above. If tripods are forbidden why to infringe the rule? Give respect, get respect.

We welcome and encourage you to take photos of Green-Wood. If you are posting them on Instagram, tag us with the hashtag #greenwoodcemetery or post to our Facebook page, The Green-Wood Cemetery, @historicgreenwood.

Professional photography (intended for publication or commercial use) is permitted only with the written consent of The Green-Wood Cemetery. The use of movie cameras, video and live models is strictly prohibited.

http://www.green-wood.com/2010/visit-on-your-own/

No mention of tripods, so use this text in your defense should someone say something to you.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Steve's old rule is "shoot 'till they throw you out", but I WAS held at gunpoint for about 20 mins. at the Hollywood Forever cemetery years ago by some old, crazy redneck caretaker (who only put the gun down after he asked me how old I thought he was, and I said 29, and started laughing so hard that he thought I should be a politician!!!)

They won't hold you at gunpoint, but they can call the cops, etc, and you are on private property, so it's their rules...

You can go there on some Saturday with a hand held camera to scope out the situation, and see if you want to take a chance at LF... Make nice with the caretakers you see, and ask them after you have them laughing WITH you... Just don't wake anyone... ;-s

Steve K
    I sure hope that was a one-of-a-kind experience. I would not be laughing, even after years to get over the event. Being held at gunpoint is no laughing matter... it can be deadly serious.

I went through a phase of cemetery photography and have had a variety of experiences. Most cemetery staff are quite ambivalent, especially at "famous and historic" cemeteries where they see a lot of photographers. In Los Angeles the one that is known to be a stickler is Forest Lawn. They have similar basic policy as someone posted for Greenwood. But every time I've been there photographing I can be sure to attract the attention of a staff member. I've been asked about pro vs amateur, asked not to disturb family members (who were nowhere in the vicinity), asked not to use a tripod (even though there was no traffic or visitors nearby), and asked what I would do with pictures of graves. But my favorite encounter was recently when I was handholding a speed graphic and noticed a staff auto parked not too far away and the security guy chatting on the radio. Suspecting that I was being observed I walked over to him and said hello. He asked, "Is that an old newspaper camera; why aren't you using a tripod; can you still get film for that; what are you taking a picture of.. I'd frame from the other side". What a pleasant experience that was. But if they catch someone trying to sneak into one of the many private mausoleums or asking for the location of famous residents... watch out!

I'm with the folks who say "shoot until they ask". Trespass, at least in my part of the US, is an interesting thing... they can tell you to leave and its not really trespassing unless you refuse. They can call the cops all they want but there's really nothing they can do. In SteveK's case... they could have taken a complaint against the security guard and he could have been hooked up for a number of annoyingly minor things... most of which could have resulted in him losing his "mall cop" and "firearms carry" permits.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Steve's old rule is "shoot 'till they throw you out", but I WAS held at gunpoint for about 20 mins. at the Hollywood Forever cemetery years ago

Would be rather ironic to be killed in a cemetery by a crazy guy. I once ran into crazy rent-a-cop in Iowa. I was on a public road taking photos of trains on a bridge. When I wouldn't leave, he started yelling, "I've got an automatic weapon in here (truck.)" I told him I had a .338 magnum rifle lying on my backseat, if he wanted to get into a shoot out. I ended up calling the deputy to come out and talk to him. When I got home, I had my brother the Dallas lawyer write the railroad a nice little summation of the incident. I got an apology from the railroad the next day. Anyway, question at hand. I would go when things are slow and give it a shot. The worst that is they'll simply throw you out or ask you to put the tripod away. More likely they'll not do anything.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I sure hope that was a one-of-a-kind experience. I would not be laughing, even after years to get over the event. Being held at gunpoint is no laughing matter... it can be deadly serious.

I went through a phase of cemetery photography and have had a variety of experiences. Most cemetery staff are quite ambivalent, especially at "famous and historic" cemeteries where they see a lot of photographers. In Los Angeles the one that is known to be a stickler is Forest Lawn. They have similar basic policy as someone posted for Greenwood. But every time I've been there photographing I can be sure to attract the attention of a staff member. I've been asked about pro vs amateur, asked not to disturb family members (who were nowhere in the vicinity), asked not to use a tripod (even though there was no traffic or visitors nearby), and asked what I would do with pictures of graves. But my favorite encounter was recently when I was handholding a speed graphic and noticed a staff auto parked not too far away and the security guy chatting on the radio. Suspecting that I was being observed I walked over to him and said hello. He asked, "Is that an old newspaper camera; why aren't you using a tripod; can you still get film for that; what are you taking a picture of.. I'd frame from the other side". What a pleasant experience that was. But if they catch someone trying to sneak into one of the many private mausoleums or asking for the location of famous residents... watch out!

I'm with the folks who say "shoot until they ask". Trespass, at least in my part of the US, is an interesting thing... they can tell you to leave and its not really trespassing unless you refuse. They can call the cops all they want but there's really nothing they can do. In SteveK's case... they could have taken a complaint against the security guard and he could have been hooked up for a number of annoyingly minor things... most of which could have resulted in him losing his "mall cop" and "firearms carry" permits.
    No Brian, I was steaming mad about having a gun fixed on me, with no purpose/reason/threat from me... (And I didn't even have a tripod with me!!!) I thought about doing something about it, but my reasoning in life is that bad people will flush themselves down the toilet eventually (but hopefully not pull anybody else down with them), as they are on a collision course with destiny, and I don't need to return to bad vibe/weirdness... They are their own worst enemy...

Forest Lawn is run with an iron fist... I went to a burial there many years ago, and I did what comes naturally to me/I pulled out my battered Leica and was setting the camera to take a few snaps of the family & friends of the deceased, and not more than 30 seconds of that camera coming out, that I had 3 attendants surrounding me demanding to know what I was doing, and telling me "if the family wanted pictures, they could have made arrangements with us"... Wow!!! (I jokingly call the place "Whispering Pines" like out of that movie "The Loved One"...)

I live close to Evergreen... Did some LF there, once a beautiful place, but that owner let most of the trees and grasses die during the drought so during the summer, it was looking like Boot Hill... I think it has a sad, unsettled vibe now, and I have seen much neglect, swarms of bugs on stones, tagging on markers, and be careful not to trip on stones covered with overgrowth... But a lot of history there, but some not so good... But my head is not there right now to photograph there... Like I said, I think kinda a strange vibe there I don't feel elsewhere in other parks...

Steve K

At Gun-Point? In some jurisdictions that could be a criminal act . . .but probably not here in Texas.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!