Many years ago, I wrote an article for a photography magazine titled 'Jugs, Jars and Jeroboams' - the subject was recycling of commercial containers for darkroom storage.

There are standards for threaded bottles and the associated closures. For example, the most common size for 16 and 32 oz containers is the 28mm cap.

Unfortunately, as one of the cited references shows, there are also standards for threading, and this means that there still can be variations within that standards 28mm diameter. The variation seems to be a function of the number of turns required to completely seal the bottle, so I suspect that for darkroom work, you would want a closure that requires more turns.

My sense is that glass containers tend to be uniform, and a generic 28mm closure will usually fit.

But plastic containers are another thing. Recently, I've been making wooden caps for plastic soda and water containers (intended to allow the container to be reused as a water bottle with a little class) by turning a wooden cap that fits over the plastic closure that came with the bottle. I've found that the cap from one bottle frequently won't fit on another bottle, and it's necessary to start with the cap that came the bottle that I'm planning to recycle. I suspect that this is because these plastic bottles are mass-produced/injection molded and designed to be disposable, it is very easy to make the cap and bottle match each other without concern for whether they match anything else.