Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
It is my opinion that: In a wilderness area, If some wheelchair athlete feels the need to see how far he can push it, there should be no restriction other the natural terrain. If he can bring along an LF camera and other gear, I say let them go for it.
From the Wilderness Act of 1964 (original and present wording):

PROHIBITION OF CERTAIN USES
(c)
… there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area.

"no other form of mechanical transport" -- anything is up to interpretation, but this federal law (not regulation) has been interpreted to define any wheeled device as a form of mechanical transport. Quite logical. Presently, thru the ADA, wheelchairs, even electrical wheelchairs are now allowed in the wilderness...and I assume with anything they can fit on their chair. Can't tow a trailer, though. And the gov't has no obligation to maintain wilderness trails and facilities for wheelchair use.

So I totally agree with you, Drew, to a point (restrictions are the natural terrain and the design/condition of the trail). If people want to go for it, go for it (but then I also favor a no-rescue approach to wilderness use for everyone.)

The next useless but interesting question would be, can someone in a wheelchair be towed by a horse in the wilderness? (yes?)