Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kodak 305mm f/2.5 Aero-Ektar, what do I do with this doorstop?

Re: Kodak 305mm f/2.5 Aero-Ektar, what do I do with this doorstop?

Make a box to go on the back of the the lens -- attach a film back (5x7?) on the other side of the box. Lenscap shutter. Fixed-focus night images.

Or even an 8x10 back -- just let the night corners go black if there are coverage issues.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I'm with Vaughn. If you're interested in messing around with it, make a simple box camera. Take some pictures. That will quickly tell you if it's something that you want to get more elaborate with.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

This thread encourages me to dump my aero-ektar which is so sorry, full of dust, scratches from being used as a door-stop. Smiling, but serious. I find no virtue in the lens, even when I had one still in the original, unopened military issue box. YMMV!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    This thread encourages me to dump my aero-ektar which is so sorry, full of dust, scratches from being used as a door-stop. Smiling, but serious. I find no virtue in the lens, even when I had one still in the original, unopened military issue box. YMMV!
    That would its main virture -- one can leave it exposing a sheet of photopaper at night for an hour or two, go have a beer, and not worry if someone strained their back trying to steal it.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That would its main virture -- one can leave it exposing a sheet of photopaper at night for an hour or two, go have a beer, and not worry if someone strained their back trying to steal it.
    Very good! I must look you up when I visit family in Arcata, should it ever happen.
    Look up the Staffords. Good people.

Just for the record, the lens in question pre-dates the U-2 and SR-71. Those programs had very specialized camera systems made in very small numbers. But the USAF (and the other parts of the gov't who did reconnaissance) have used many aerial platforms over the years for many very specific purposes... and in fairly large numbers. For example, my father threw an aerial camera with a Kodak lens out the window of his B-17 in 1944, "lightening ship" in an attempt to make it back to England after a mission to bomb Berlin. (They had to ditch the plane, my father survived thanks to the Royal Navy.)

Eric Woodbury

Mine tips the scales at 11.5 pounds, no mounting flange.

The glass is absolutely clear, no browning.

I think I hefted on at a friends house once. I weighs no more than a Dallmeyer 4B or about 11 lbs, like you say. Maybe in some alternate universe they weigh a lot more.

If you say so. Mine was in the housing with shutter, if that matters. I vaguely remember the FedEx label saying something like 40 pounds, but I know that is sometimes an "estimate" but that is really high to be an estimate of 11lbs. There also could be some variants for all I know.

I have some big lenses such as the 360mm f/5.6 Symmar, not to mention big telephoto lenses for 6x7 / 35mm, and it was way, way past that. It was not something I would casually pick up with one hand (both of course due to weight and bulk). It was a serious boat anchor.

Anyway, as a side note to aerial recon lenses, if anyone is interested in what was used on the SR-71, the exhibit at the USS Alabama has a detailed description and info from one of the pilots about the Fairchild camera/lenses along with one of the SR-71 planes. Pretty cool stuff.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have a 300mm f/1.5 but I am not complaining...