Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak's Other Big Announcement Today

Kodak's Other Big Announcement Today

I have to disagree with a comment a way back up the thread that "George Eastman would be kicking some booty" over the current course of Kodak.

I think, rather, he'd be leading the charge. He didn't build up the Kodak brand by making Daguerreotype plates while everyone else was selling dry gelatin plates; he did it by inventing flexible film and consumer photography. Today, he wouldn't be spending money trying to keep B&W going, he'd be forging ahead in digital -- though I doubt he'd do it by buying other companies; rather, he'd grow the expertise within the company.

Whether he'd precipitately abandon B&W is another issue -- the "old" Kodak we all knew as youngsters still made film packs into the 1970s, and didn't discontinue 122 "postcard" film until almost 1980; 620 lasted until around 1990, almost forty years after the last Kodak 620 format camera rolled off the line. But neither did the "old" Kodak try to keep those formats going once sales dropped enough it no longer paid to cut that width, or print that backing paper, or fabricate those spools. C-22 wasn't supported for too many years after C-41 came along, even though there surely were those who said their favorite Kodacolor-X was superior to this newfangled Kodacolor II.

This isn't a new way of doing business for Kodak -- but like everything else related to digital technology, it happens a bit faster than those of us who grew up before computers were on every desk are used to. So, Kodak is jumping off the B&W train -- and they're giving us warning by dropping paper (slower selling and less profitable than film, most likely) first. We can still get lots of B&W papers, and if all else fails, Kodak does still make their monochrome RA-4 material (not archival, but at least it's B&W). And in large format, we still have the option to print on salted paper, or albumen, or POP, or cyanotype, or platinum, even when Azo and Polycontrast IV and whatever else are gone -- even if the Ilford and Oriental papers follow Kodak down the drain and we never manage to get that green cast out of the Fomabrom...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

One thing that distresses me so far is the lack of info on spec sheets compared to Kodak products, especially with respect to poly contrast papers. Kodak broke down dichro settings for different 'popular' heads.

One of the problems is that there are rather a lot of variables involved, and it's difficult for the manufacturer to account for all of them. If you want accurate, speed matched filtration settings, you need to do your own calibration using your enlarger, your development process (developer, developer dilution, time, temp). Any minor change will throw the speed matching out of whack.

I used to redo calibration curves for the papers I used when I changed the bulb in my enlarger. Changing from an old bulb to a new bulb was a noticeable difference in both contrast and speed matching.

As always, two good resources are the method I developed (read it at www.butzi.net/articles/vcce.htm and the method in Ralph Lambrecht's book, the title of which I have, alas, forgotten. "Way Beyond Monochrome"? It's around here somewhere but I can't find it.

One thing that distresses me so far is the lack of info on spec sheets compared to Kodak products, especially with respect to poly contrast papers. Kodak broke down dichro settings for different 'popular' heads.

Ilford does provide this information, but it's only on the insert included in each box of paper, not in the technical data booklets posted on their website.

Agfa provides separate suggested settings for Kodak and Durst-type filtration systems; the information is included both in their technical data booklet and in the package insert.

Regarding Azo, I just spoke to Michael Smith and Azo should be available for a couple of years yet (at current usage) as the warehoused stock is high now. Michael also said he was working on bringing a replacement for Azo to market soon. So not to worry. Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com

As an avid Azo user I felt the pain of the plant closing last month. Maybe Michael A. Smith can bring on a new replacement for Azo. What I fail to understand is how Kodak will agree to produce a replacement for Azo when all Kodak paper is being discontinued. This does not sound like the bottom line thinking that Kodak has been known for over the past few years. Sad would be the departure of Azo for the fine art world. Are the contact printers destined for more the old school hand coated processes?

-Bruce

> What I fail to understand is how Kodak will agree ...

I assume the new vendor won't be Kodak. We'll see.

and story on NPR

Morning Edition, June 16, 2005 · Photographers across the country have complained of getting harassed by law enforcement officials citing security concerns since the September 11 terrorist attacks.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4705698
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

darn - wrong thread...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog