Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legs For A Camera Bag?

Legs For A Camera Bag?

As I gety older the desire and ability to bend, stoop and squat declines exponentially.

This morning I had a coffeer fueled idea to put legs on a camera bag. By squeezing my eyes tightly shut and breathing deeply, I thought about rigging up something from sections of PVC pipe and fittings. The leg sections would come apart and self-assemble with bungee cord.

Does not have to be really tall . . .only waist high or a little lower.

A refined model would involve a bag or pack designed and built for the legs. The legs would be CF sections repurposed from mono-pod designs.

Another variation would be an after-market add-on for Pelican hard cases, much like the pulling handle is an add-on to the wheeled models . . .or the after market backpack straps.

Am I nuts?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Legs For A Camera Bag?

Begin by Googling 'tripod camping chair'.

lab black

When working out of either a medium camera bag or backpack, in order raise them up from ground level, I have had success using a Coleman Rambler camping stool.

http://www.coleman.com/rambler-ii-st...pmin=0&start=7
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Reminds me of The Trunk Bucket, maybe you could add some legs to this sides to telescope out. Or have two nested buckets and sit on one while you work our of the main bucket.
    n

The Trunk Bucket - [by]David Bardes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	162669One of the aspects of photography that I really enjoy is the DIY projects. DIY projects are still part of the game, even with the advent of digital image capture and a thousand gizmos that are available at your favorite photography emporium. A quick project for a rainy afternoon is the creation of the Trunk Bucket. I was inspired by a recent outing shooting large format with the camera set too low to bend over, and nothing but mud and gravel to kneel in.

A Trunk Bucket is a place to store your infrequently used but important photography supplies that can weigh down your camera bag. And it doubles as a seat or stool when you need to change your viewing elevation. Contractors have been improvising with 5 gallon buckets for quite a while, so a stop at Lowe's or Home Depot is all you need to get the basics.

The bare minimum configuration is a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. The challenge is that the lid is stubborn to remove without some leverage. Bucket lids that are designed to double as seats don't have that tight fit and can be easily removed. There are also dividers that drop into the bucket. I was going to try to fabricate some dividers, but for a few dollars one can have the work done for you. I purchased the bucket and divider/tray at Team Blue (Lowe's) and the seat/lid at Team Orange (Home Depot). Total cost was under $15.

Bucket List
    • Here are a few items you might consider to place inside:
    • A change bag and a few boxes to place exposed film in
    • Heavy duty lens/body/sensor cleaning supplies: canned air, sensor cleaning fluid, lens cloths etc.
    • A spare light meter
    • A heavy duty garbage bag
    • Several gallon sized re-sealable plastic bags
    • A terrycloth towel
    • Extra batteries
    • A couple sheets of black wrap
    • A Sharpie, pen and note pad
    • Focusing board/gray card
    • Clamp mount, mini tripod or a small sand bag.
    • Knee pads or garden kneeling pad
    • Gaffer's tape
    • Multi tool
    • Flashlight
    • Bungee cords and several clothes pins
    • 50 ft. of Paracord (Hey, if it's good enough for Baer Grylls, then it's good enough for me!)

Assemble your items, and place them in the bucket. Put the lid on and place the bucket in your trunk. Now whenever you are shooting, regardless of which camera you are using, those supplies will be handy!

editor's Note: that bucket can come in real handy - with the addition of a purchased seat from a river outfit supplier and insert disposable bag, it becomes a great porta-potty! We used these on several week-long raft trips in Utah. Nothing like sitting by the river.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Why not consider a stroller - bag is at waist height and you don't have to carry it.

Stool, Stroller, Bucket . . .so far the consensus seems to be anything but legs on a bag.

Have I read that right?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I use a small table. L

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Stool, Stroller, Bucket . . .so far the consensus seems to be anything but legs on a bag.

Have I read that right?
    How about putting the bag on a hook attached to your tripod? Like that you don't need another set of legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    How about putting the bag on a hook attached to your tripod? Like that you don't need another set of legs.
    You bring up a good p;oint about extra legs and weight.

I have done just that at times: Does not eliminate bending, stooping and squatting.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

I have seen several photos of a photographer names JB Harlin (I do not feel comfortable posting someone else's images http://www.jbhphoto.com/ ). He hangs his camera pack on his Ries just under the 8x10. It looks to rest against two of the legs. No squatting seems to be needed to access the pack.

It probably would have been good for me to do also this past two weeks in the desert. Keeping the pack off the ground would have kept things cleaner. I will need a couple days to go through and clean all the desert dust out of my stuff.

I did break a leg on a Gitzo tripod this way, though (Studex, aluminum), back in 1984, I think. I used it to keep two packbacks off the ground at night (and away from rodents) during a week hike in the Grand Canyon with a friend. The leg cracked at a weak point where the threads of the leg adjusters thin the amount of metal left from cutting the threads. Still usable for the rest of the backpack trip, but I had to be set up the 4x5 lower than was comfortable! I was eventually sent a new (free) leg and they tossed in a set of bushings for all the leg tighteners.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China