Thread: copal no. 3 parts question

copal no. 3 parts question

the small knurled "knob" on the shutter cock lever on a copal 3 I have fell out. I can't identify how it was secured initially, there are no threads. The knob itself, though there is a miniature hole in the back, doesn't seem that it would have taken a screw. Was it simply "spread" into security in manufacture with a tool that puts pressure in that hole, or was there indeed some part or screw in the back to hold it in place?
    Thank you

Re: copal no. 3 parts question

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    the small knurled "knob" on the shutter cock lever on a copal 3 I have fell out. I can't identify how it was secured initially, there are no threads. The knob itself, though there is a miniature hole in the back, doesn't seem that it would have taken a screw. Was it simply "spread" into security in manufacture with a tool that puts pressure in that hole, or was there indeed some part or screw in the back to hold it in place?
    Thank you
    No screw AFAIK, just pressed on the lever. Use crazy glue (if you not use the shutter in freezing temps) to fasten it back. Cheers!

thanks!

It came off one of my Copal 3's, I just put it back and back struck it with a small punch to make it a tight fit again. Hasn't come off since! Luis

Hijack alert!

I have a Copal 3 with the same part missing. Anyone know of a source for parts? I get along fine without it, but wouldn't mind replacing it if getting the part were easy enough.

Best,

Doremus

I just checked one of my Copal 3 shutters that still has its knob firmly attached.

The knob is held in place by a solid rivet, pressed in from the rear.
    For this to work, the rivet must be about .002" larger diameter than the hole in the knob.

This attachment is MUCH simpler, faster, and less expensive than a threaded fastener.
    It should be permanent. I don't know why yours came loose. Was it subject to any temperature extremes?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I have had several come loose/fall off over the years. Some weren't punched in the centre from new.