Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 150mm Lenses-Fuji vs. Rodenstock

Re: 150mm Lenses-Fuji vs. Rodenstock

I've been amazed how sharp my Fuji lenses when looking at the negative with a 10 loupe!

From looking at the negatives I have shot so far I can say for sure that the lenses aren't the limiting factor at all in my case tripod stability is the limitation!

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by ben_hutcherson View Post
    . . . I've spent a lot with KEH over the years, and in the past they've pulled lenses from the warehouse for me and held them in their hand while I asked questions. I might call them tomorrow about that.

BTW, I know there are cheaper sources than KEH, but they've been good to me over the years and I like to give them my business.
    I get it. I have a lot of stuff from KEH. They go over the stuff you sell them with a FINE tooth comb. You know you benefit from that treatment when you purchase from them.

Some quick Google work seems to point to the Fuji as being the generally better lens
    Not at all: Rodenstock, Scheneider, Nikon and Fuji all are very good. I've 2 Fuji, 65mm and 90mm, very happy. But also very, very happy with Sironar-N. An this is from a Nikon W https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...posted-public/

...Sironar-S is top notch, these are jewels. Symmars... I've 5, four of them single coated convertible, also very good. So that googling is completely missleading and false. All 4 brands are superb, just peek a model that fits what you want regarding multicoating, focal, circle, speed, price and conservation.

Perhaps you have seen that:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html

"This is at best a relative (not absolute) comparison between these lenses" not very scientific, and with sample to sample variations

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

Sample to sample concerns to ultimate resolution "at extintion", so in conditions that are not very useful anyway, what I want to say is that at the end those great manufacturers were selling always well performing glasses, with some exceptions.

Looking at KEH, I've come across two tempting options-a Rodenstock APO-Sironar N, and a Fuji Fujinon W. The Rodenstock is in a Copal shutter, and the Fuji in a Seiko shutter. Both are f/5.6. .

As you are to shot Velvia you have to nail the exposure: Be careful with shutters !!! Marked speed may be +/- 30 % with a brand new shutter and be still under specs. I use a pretty dirt collection of shutters near recovered from trash, some are jewels like Compound 5. Buy a shutter tester (ebay from $15 to $90) and check all your shutters, check if they repeat same time and what's the true speed. With old shutters you may expect one full stop of error in higher speed. Write true speds over lens board. Read this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/expo...rge-format.htm

Seiko clockwork is more complicated, (I repair, somtimes destroy, my shutters...) so ask about service.

As you are to shot Velvia you should buy multicoated lenses, Fuji EBD coating is really good, but also with other brands.

All of that aside, I'm mostly a landscape and architecture guy
    Your backpack will be heavy !

For arquitecture you will want plenty of movements, and a large circle is a heavier glass, while for hiking you'll prefer less weight. So think twice before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    I've been amazed how sharp my Fuji lenses when looking at the negative with a 10 loupe!

From looking at the negatives I have shot so far I can say for sure that the lenses aren't the limiting factor at all in my case tripod stability is the limitation!
    One suggestion. Just place a toy laser pointer in your front standard and point to a stone 20 m far. You'll know how much time you have to wait until settles after inserting holder, and when the tripod/wind can be blamed or not.

That was very useful to me. I was blaming my tripod and it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    In the 150mm length the Sironar S has noticeably more image circle than the N version...
    The APO-Sironar-N and APO-Sironar-S have identical 231mm image circles.

I expect your brain cell is conflating the regular Sironar-N with it's 214mm image circle.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    ...Sironar-S is top notch, these are jewels.
    I presume you mean the APO-Sironar-S product line.
    I'm not aware of any offerings that are not APO designs.

Some years ago I decided the APO-Sironar-S lenses were probably the highest quality lenses available for LF.
    So I standardized on that line. I have all available focal lengths through 240mm.
    I don't have the 300mm or 360mm because I've never found one available.

I must say I've never regretted my decision. Images are outstanding.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The APO-Sironar-N and APO-Sironar-S have identical 231mm image circles.

I expect your brain cell is conflating the regular Sironar-N with it's 214mm image circle.

- Leigh
    Sorry, no they don't! The N covers 72° and the S cover 75°. Focal length for focal length the S covers a larger circle at the same distance and at the same f stop. If you see a chart that states otherwise it is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If you see a chart that states otherwise it is incorrect.
    Bob,

I did find a reference to a 214mm IC in a Russian datasheet.

Perhaps the 231mm in my database is a typo.

- Leigh

Dave Karp

Bob should know!

According to the comparison chart on the home page (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html), the APO-Sironar-N has an image circle of 214mm. The APO-Sironar-S is shown to have a 231mm image circle. This is consistent with everything I have ever seen.

Bob, the only difference between a 150mm Sironar-N and an APO-Sironar-N is its name, right? In other words, am I correct in understanding that the lenses is the same and the name was added for marketing purposes, to be consistent with the other concurrent Sironar lines?

(Shrek)

Largely a matter of personal preference at this point, given that all of these lenses now have a history before we buy them. You'll find superb lenses and dogs from all of the big makers, and no way of knowing which is which until you're examining your negs. I've decided to go with Fujinon for my 'modern' lenses simply for the cost, and honest Japanese sellers. But then I found some deals like my Super-Angulon 65/5.6 for under $100, how could I pass that up? I don't care what's written on the barrel.